Report: Texting May Be Harming Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I love the picture..

Cookie monster is texting you...

Maybe parents should put limits on how much teens text? Ever think of that? "Too much of a good thing can be bad for you".

Oh, of course that won't happen, I mean, it might kill us if we actually DISCIPLINED our children.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Tell us something we don't know? Although it's not just teens that texting is affecting, how many text-related train accidents have happened in the last year or two?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
My girlfriend's little sister sent 800+ texts the first night she got her phone. Her dad then made the phone unable to use between 11pm and 6am. :)

G

My sister has gone through four phones. Her average texting for the month is over 10,000. Her buttons are all but destroyed, cracked in half. Still, is it the texting that is adding the stress? I never liked psychology much... because it is ALL theory. Could it be the global economy squeeze? Parents wanting them to get a job to help pay for their phone, but there are no jobs? Parents pushing them even harder to be better in school so that they get good grades to get into a good college, to get a good job? There are so many facets to a teens life. I appreciate the study, but don't make texting seem like it's a bigger problem than other things that will stress a teen.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with the_one. Parents need to quit being lazy.. Just wait their gonna want the goverment to do something about this to, because it's so hard to make your kid hand over the phone that you pay the bill on and can cancel anytime.. Parents just don't either care, or care to much and become afraid of being the "bad guy".

To you parents.. Sometimes being a parent, isn't being your kids friend.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]My girlfriend's little sister sent 800+ texts the first night she got her phone. Her dad then made the phone unable to use between 11pm and 6am.[/citation]

I would be quite upset if that happened to my phone. I don't use my phone much, but I really like being available 24/7. I don't send all that many texts per month... maybe 1500 per month. Almost all of these texts are sent frantically when trying to figure out rides and locations for parties or going somewhere I want to go.

jsschneidereit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
But isn't this like saying "oh you're talking to your friend (or what have you) too much so i'm gonna sew your mouth shut so you don't get jaw arthritis"

kingnoobe, Being a tyrant also isn't being a parent. IMO

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
And then when the gov't does do something , the parents won't like the intrusion of the government. It is a stupid cycle, parents should just put restrictions on texting. They just are too scared to

G

Ok, so people are communicating, losing sleep over it, and that is now considered a danger? Would it be any better if they were simply calling each other on the phone, or msging using a laptop? or just talking?

I think the shrinks need to keep their nose out of other peoples assholes, and worry about their own behavior. At this rate, everything is now considered some kind of a sickness. Psychologists are trying to classify bitterness as a syndrome, not being happy 24/7 is now a sickness too, called depression (I mean, it can't be that the world is so messed up that there's simply nothing to be smiling about right? kids are dying in every country, there isn't enough food to go around, murders and rapes are happening every few seconds, our presidents are legally retarded, and the people are constantly oppressed, but if you're not happy, then you're sick and have a depression, and need drugs! right?), If you enjoy reading and studying rather than drinking, killing your brain, smoking, and trying to get laid 24/7, well that means you have Asperger's syndrome, and need drugs that will help you become more docile, and stupid like the rest of the society... When most of the Field Medals and Nobel Prizes, every single invention and discovery is made by an Asperger's syndrome individual (at least that's what he would have been classified)...

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks this is bull? The answer to your teen not texting so much...take their phone away. Come on be a parent.
I go back to my youth, where on school nights I wasn't allowed to play my nintendo on school nights. At the time I though it was unfair, but then again I never had sleep deprivation, anxiety or whatever else health professionals want to give you a pill for. Are parents really that afraid of their kids to not tell them no?

Last time I checked, the simple acting of thinking to much can give you anxiety as well as sleep deprivation. Should we not allow teens to think next? Just be parents and say no.

[citation][nom]jsschneidereit[/nom]kingnoobe, Being a tyrant also isn't being a parent. IMO[/citation]
I wholly disagree with you. Being a tryant is being a parent. As most often quoted by parnts, "This isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship". I am not saying at the point of physical, emotional, or social abuse, but I am saying you word should be law in your own home. If a parent says no, then no. Is that being tyrannical, yes and that is the point. The teen might feel opressed, but are they, no. You should control your own home. It's funny how so many parents complain about government intervention and how "the government shouldn't raise my kid". Yet we rely on things like the FCC to control content so we don't. Oh well...

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation]Outside the actual messaging load, physicians are worried about how the activity is wearing on the thumbs.[/citation]

My Olympic thumbs have no signs of slowing down...

Status
Not open for further replies.