Google Launches Gmail Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Um... I have been able to do this with Windows Live Mail for quite a while now. I can respond to any number of messages and they will all be sent as soon as I re-connect to the internet. This isn't a new feature and certainly not a masterpiece invention from the google labs.

And just to be sure I wasn't mistaken I disconnected myself, sent several emails, and re-connected so that I could watch them be sent. One was to myself on another email account so I am quite confident that it works.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I personally like the feature. Sure it's not invented by Google Labs, but not all great ideas are...

Call me old and set in my ways, but Gmail is the only email I can really stand to use on a daily basis. Anything Microsoft makes me think twice before using it, Yahoo always felt cheap to me; not to mention they remind me of the ask.com toolbar.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I personally like the feature. Sure it's not invented by Google Labs, but not all great ideas are...Call me old and set in my ways, but Gmail is the only email I can really stand to use on a daily basis. Anything Microsoft makes me think twice before using it, Yahoo always felt cheap to me; not to mention they remind me of the ask.com toolbar.[/citation]

I agree. I find the clean, and clutter free interfaces that Google sticks to makes Gmail extremely appealing.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I personally like the feature. Sure it's not invented by Google Labs, but not all great ideas are...Call me old and set in my ways, but Gmail is the only email I can really stand to use on a daily basis. Anything Microsoft makes me think twice before using it, Yahoo always felt cheap to me; not to mention they remind me of the ask.com toolbar.[/citation]

It is an email program not as if you are installing a new operating system. You try it out if you don't like it you don't use it.

I always used gmail until I downloaded Windows Live to give it a spin with Windows 7. I couldn't imagine going back. I used to have to forward my university email to my gmail account but now I just sync both of them and can view their inbox/outbox separately on the same page without worrying which email came from where. The user interface is, in my opinion at least, better on WLM than on gmail but that is up to the specific user.

There isn't much to lose from simply giving it a try because it is pretty feature rich, free to download, easy to setup with gmail accounts, and easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
@Nuclearshadow: Gotta say, I disagree. It's a feature Gmail users felt was missing. Not everyone keeps an eye on the Gmail blog and there was nothing to suggest working offline was an option when I signed into Gmail this morning. I think it's news for sure. Maybe not huge news (in that it doesn't affect everyone, just Gmailers), but news none the less.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Um... I have been able to do this with Windows Live Mail for quite a while now. I can respond to any number of messages and they will all be sent as soon as I re-connect to the internet. This isn't a new feature and certainly not a masterpiece invention from the google labs. And just to be sure I wasn't mistaken I disconnected myself, sent several emails, and re-connected so that I could watch them be sent. One was to myself on another email account so I am quite confident that it works.[/citation]

Comparing a web based interface email and a downloadable client are two very different things...Any down loadable client should be able to browse and compose email offline...A fair comparison would be web based hotmail vs gmail...can it do it?

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Useful for people who don't like Thunderbird or who don't have a POP account :)

Actually, Yahoo does a much better job with Web 2.0 features in their web mail.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Definition of "News": Information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by newspapers, periodicals, radio, or television.
New information of any kind: The requirement was news to him.
Newsworthy material: “a public figure on a scale unimaginable in America; whatever he did was news” (James Atlas).

Number of Google users in december 2008 : 91.6 million

Around 91.6 million persons must be happy to have this news reported.

G

It's a convenient feature, but there is no obvious way to password-protect access to gmail when one is offline. Which makes having it problematic when traveling (when it would be most convenient). If I lose the laptop or someone steals it, why would I want my private email so easily accessible? Am I missing some obvious way to password-protect the offline incarnation of gmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.