Analyst: Xbox 360 is a "Gold Mine" for Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
I have a Netflix account and it streams through my Xbox 360. I have to say it's pretty cool as I don't have to wait for my movies to come in the mail. However, Netflix seriously needs to expand their selection of movies that can be streamed via internet as it's very small; there just isn't much to choose from right now. I hope Netflix expands their streaming online selection - asap.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'm with Hop on his comment... right now it's not too bad watching an 8gb DVD (and hence 31 movies a month) but now that I'm getting used to watching Bluray movies on that same flat-screen that the 360 is hooked up to, the bandwidth would quickly runs out for the month when added to my other Internet usage.

Oh well, there's always the netflix disks that come in the mail without eating up my monthly streaming allowance. :(

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The main reason the library on NetFlix is limited for the streaming service is because of Sony. They made NetFlix pull all of the Sony movies off of the streaming service prior to Microsoft's November Update.

There needs to be a class action suit against Sony for making NetFlix pull their movies off of the streaming service.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]The main reason the library on NetFlix is limited for the streaming service is because of Sony. They made NetFlix pull all of the Sony movies off of the streaming service prior to Microsoft's November Update.There needs to be a class action suit against Sony for making NetFlix pull their movies off of the streaming service.[/citation]

I didn't know that, and that is really stupid for Sony to pull all their movies streaming on Netflix simply because they're now working with Microsoft. Makes me wonder if Sony is trying to set up their own video streaming service as well? Anyway, I hope Sony get sued (probably will happen this year).

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I don't think you can (legitimately) sue someone for not letting you stream content that THEY own. I understand the outrage, however.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have FiOS and it literally takes maybe 15 seconds to download enough of the movie to start watching it. Although it is dependent on their end too but for the most part it's pretty awesome. FiOS that is.

G

MediaMall has a program named PlayOn which will allow a PS3 to watch Netflix via a PC. Sure the program runs $30 and you have to have a computer running, but you don't need to pay an Xbox Live subscription. I just fire up my laptop and stick it in another room. Looks a ton better on the PS3 compared to plugging my laptop into the TV.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]I don't think you can (legitimately) sue someone for not letting you stream content that THEY own. I understand the outrage, however.[/citation]

Not true, if you can prove that one arm of Sony is making business decisions to aid another division you're looking at an anti-trust suit. This would be akin to MS making windows not working on a VIAO. Okay maybe not this extreme but its in the same vein.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Not true, if you can prove that one arm of Sony is making business decisions to aid another division you're looking at an anti-trust suit. This would be akin to MS making windows not working on a VIAO. Okay maybe not this extreme but its in the same vein.[/citation]

Nice! I look forward to the lawsuit. =D

G

"take a minute away from gaming and check out the streaming service for yourself." ...Somebody owns stock in Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.