Sony says PS3 Intentionally Hard for Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

baov

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So they are saying, "the hardware is all there but we want to make money for longer so we throw shit in the way so that devellopers will only discover how to make good use of it after many years of putting out crap instead of just making good games right away, just so we can give the user the false impression that the machine is getting better without the possibility of upgrading the hardware itself".

G

Lets talk about wii? 320~ for ugly graphic and bad gameplay? and super bad resolution (480p), maybe this is the cheapest next gen consol, but u got nothing for the buck.PS3 have alot of potential, developers need to use it.

velo116

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I think this is a terrible idea because it punishes creative effort that is surrounded by sub-par programmers. A game that might have an excellent story and gameplay might be rendered useless because the developers couldn't figure out how to work the platform to get a good enough frame-rate. I've read many reviews talking about how the story of a game is good but it is plauged by too many glitches. Who knows how many of those could be solved if the platform were easier to program for?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Since when does and annoying program environment mean higher potential...??? Those two things do not correlate in any way. Because the PS3 is hard to program for does not mean it has a higher upside. The hardware is limited in itself and then you add in the tough programming environment a logical conclusion would mean a LOWER potential.

He made other comments about how confident he was he would outsell the Xbox 360 which was hilarious. If you doubled the PS3 sales and kept the Xbox 360 sales flat it wouldn't be until 2014 until the PS3 caught the 360.

He also made a ridiculous comment about Xbox 360 "longevity" because apparently Sony didn't release a successor to the Playstation 2...oh wait...

G

I wonder if the translation should have been that the platform is more complex as opposed to more difficult. The PS3 was designed with far more powerful capabilities, but they are different than previous generations of hardware and, in that way, are more difficult.

G

Sounds like he's trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Except these lemons are rotten.

G

I don't think it's a bad thing to made something tricky to program--to an extent. Game budgets are ballooning and people are having a rough time meeting deadlines as it is. Sony seems to like having a console that has games look better over time, but we saw eventual improvements in games even for the first Playstation. I'd say that Sony may have overdone it this time.

Killzone 2 looks good, but it also took almost 5 years and a huge budget. Not everyone can afford that, especially with this economy.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I was thinking about buying a PS3 for blueray playback with my new HDTV, but I've just changed my mind completely because of this article. Way to go sony.

G

"Are you happy with your ps3?" I freaking love my ps3! It doesn't have as many great games as the xbox 360 (which I also own), but the games it does have like MGS4 and Resistance 1&2, Uncharted, Motorstorm, etc are timeless. Sony did not properly explain themselves in this interview. The reality as a gamer is, those who develop on the ps3, are able to develop a much more dynamic and intuitive experience because so much more time was put into making it. Yes, thats not always been the case with all of the case. But, Developers who make a game exclusively for ps3 will definitely show this trend. Blu Ray- while not necessary for most consumers at the moment- will in the next few years give sony a huge advantage as HD resolution becomes a more practical and affordable feature for the market.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Hah, imo, they took the wrong approach.

I mean, evidance lies in the numbers as we discuss.. PS3 is what, third? out of the 3 that are out there.

For one, why make it difficult? You WANT all the subpar games + big games on your console.. because if you don't have the subpar games, what do you play between the larger more intense games?

Play a big game...wait 8 months..play another big game..wait 2 months.. etc..
or
Play big game, play 50 mini games, play big game, play 55 mini games..

Really I don't see their logic behind this, I think they're just making excuses.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
the original playstation had like 20% of its power hidden. it wasn't until later in the consoles life did sony release how to access commands that were otherwise hidden? I just remember that being the case way back in the day. I guess almost like nintendo's mode7? *i can't remember all the details of that one.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
as though i'm hearing words coming out from a kid.
how come sony/ps3 never said that when it first came out?

if that's the case, i'll be seeing next generation xbox and nintendo consoles still easy to make games and ps3 remains difficult.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Look at the money Sony has lost so far and by the time Game developers learn how to take advantage of the PS3's full power the Xbox720(what ever it will be called) will be out and probably capable of far better graphics.

G

is every tomshardware article going to end with a series of questions begging for user comments?
bah.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]I was thinking about buying a PS3 for blueray playback with my new HDTV, but I've just changed my mind completely because of this article. Way to go sony.[/citation]

See Metal Gear Solid 4 i think they cracked the code of Sony, the game is simply amazing. Moreover due to the excelent hardware built in inside PS3 is still one of the best Blue-Ray players in the market. So before thinking of revenge just buy what is best for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.