Scammers Hunting on Social Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
"Most social networking sites prohibit users from posing as someone else"

That's total BS!!! MySpace is FULL of Nigerian scam artists using stolen headshots of Hawaiian models. Call me whatever you like, but MySpace does NOTHING to stop anyone from pretending to be anybody other that who they are. I wouldn't be surprised if half of all the new accounts there come from scammers.

It's the one reason why I HATE MySpace and why I don't use it.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]"Most social networking sites prohibit users from posing as someone else"That's total BS!!! MySpace is FULL of Nigerian scam artists using stolen headshots of Hawaiian models. Call me whatever you like, but MySpace does NOTHING to stop anyone from pretending to be anybody other that who they are. I wouldn't be surprised if half of all the new accounts there come from scammers.It's the one reason why I HATE MySpace and why I don't use it.[/citation]

There's a huge difference between having rules in place, and enforcing them. Youtube has rules against uploading copyrighted material as well, yet it's, probably, the worlds biggest warehouse for anonymous download of copyrighted video material.

Dun use myspace, but I assume they're not spending all that much on enforcing their rules either.

The difference between must do and could do is huge. imo all national dating sites, online auctions and the like should implement user authentication at least when they sign up - with physical letters or using some kind of id verification other than by means of credit cards.

The problem with international stuff like facebook, ebay etc. is that it doesn't only target one nation, and therefore there are varying verification options, and probably there are countries without any options at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS