DVD players with DivX support

yoaverez

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Hi, I was wondering if there are dvd players that support divx functions??

I saw the panasonic X410U dvd player with divX support, but every place i saw a review said that divx is dead.
what do they mean?
divx is more alive then ever...

Where can I find a player that can read a disc with a single .avi file in it which is in divx format?!

PLEASE HELP.

~ where is my translocator? ~

phsstpok

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That player is four years old. Plays the old Circuit City DIVX format (plus standard DVDs).

Don't confuse the defunct DIVX disc format with the now popular DivX compression scheme.

A few years ago Circuit City (and partners) were trying to introduce a competing format to DVD. It was called DIVX. Instead of a purchase/own philosophy which DVD uses, DIVX was to use a licensed plan. You rent it, your player dials into a network to verify the registration, and then you can play the movie. After a certain period of time the registration would expire and you would no longer be able to watch the movie, unless you renew/repay.

Here's a link to a description of that DIVX, <A HREF="http://www.fightdivx.com/divxfaq.htm" target="_new">http://www.fightdivx.com/divxfaq.htm</A>.
(Read fast the link quickly jumps to a commercial site. LOL!!!!)

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 01/28/03 10:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL!

How the h*ll did this thread come to the top?

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

DanW

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
OK, sorry, Yeah this thread is old, but I just have to reply.

The DivX in regards to old DVD players is evil. DivX was most likely an Al Qaeida plot to subjugate all Americans under the iron fisted rule of the evil empire of DivX. Those who thought up the idea of having people purchase a movie, and then pay each time they want to watch it, should be thrown into Camp X-Ray.

My first computer was a Packard Bell. I'm glad it was a Packard Bell. It taught me a lot about computers. Specifically, how NOT to build a computer.

phsstpok

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Al Qaeida? LOL! No just pure capitalism, a way to make consumers pay more. Glad DIVX failed!!!!

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Well, as long as it is already up here:

There is only one DVD player that I know of that will play Divx encoded movies right now, and that is the KiSS DP-450. Only available in europe as far as I have seen, but does take either power, so if you can get one shipped you don't need a power adapter just a cord that fits the outlet.

You can also mod an X-box to play Divx movies, which might not be too bad either. A stand alone DVD player is better quality for DVDs, but since Divx is lower quality anyways you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

And I don't know the name or model or anything, but someone told me about a portable MP3 type device with a 20GB Harddrive and a color display that will play divx movies (I think). You can watch on the screen, or it has a TV output. You could load up a couple of movies from your computer and head over to a friends house. Plug it into the TV and watch your movies.

Fairly expensive but very portable if you know what movies you want and can transfer them ahead of time.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

This thread is seven years old. I think its safe to say the O.P. has resolved his issue. Think this is the worst "necro-thread" I've seen dug up. Must have taken some doing on your part.