chronoNspace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
Sony's CMT-LTHD micro audio system. You can stuff 300 CDs' worth of music into its integrated hard drive, a first for micro systems. Just pop in a CD and rip songs directly to the hard drive for storage. Available in July for approximately $1,000.

Just pop in a CD and rip songs directly to the hard drive? Is not Sony the company who invented the new copy protection system for audio CDs? A copy protection that does not allow you to rip anything anytime anywhere, let alone to your PC hard drive. I cannot even rip songs from a purchased CD through my PC and onto my purchased Sony Clie. But if I buy a Jack the Ripper deluxe, at 1,000 clams, from you know who, then I can rip without having the Sony police beating me with rubber hoses. And yes, I am fully aware of the marking pen technique to rid my audio CD of its parasite. But, I would like to hear from some of you out there. Think this is a coincidence? Did Sony plan all along to prevent you from ripping just so they could force feed you CMT-LTHD? What other convenient ripping products has Sony in its bag? Just a reminder, if you ever thought that you were not being controlled….cultivated…..think again.

stripe7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I have been using FreeRIP MP3 to rip my CD's and dump it into my Clie thru MS Export/Import. It plays most of the time then every once in a while the copyprotection BS kicks in and I have to reformat my Memory Stick and reinitialize my Clie. Sometimes takes about 2-3 tries to get it to work again.

SONY sucks.