iPhone/Touch 2.1 Firmware Coming This Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow. Updates should be free no? Provided that some of us has already pay hundreds for the device. Bunch of rip offs. Yes you, Mr. Big Rip off Apple.

Audiose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Ummm, I work in the cellphone industry, and I hate to break it to you Marcus Yam: 3G service has NOTHING to do with the voice calls dropping on the iPhone. The switching back and forth between 3G and EDGE is data and 3G related. Not voice. Think voice/data in the following sequence: GSM/GPRS, GSM/EDGE, GSM/3G/UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA. Please... GSM is voice, and has been voice for years. 3G has NOTHING to do with it. Don't talk about something you don't know about. Please? Spare us all the misinformation!

dcopen

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
@ Audiose

Make sure you have your facts straight before you start jumping all over our friends here at Tom's Hardware.

If you really work in the "cellphone industry" then it must be a sad state of affairs for you. Apparently you know nothing about how cell phones work. So please stop spreading misguided information!!

Switching back and forth between 3G, EDGE and GPRS most certainly effects voice data. Voice is still data and uses bandwidth. It doesn't require nearly as much bandwidth when compared to web browsing which is why you'll see GPRS pull about 40kbs.

Now the reason for the dropped calls is due to the iPhone's inability to switch towers from 3G to EDGE to GPRS... etc. It likes to hold on to the tower that you placed the call from. It will hold onto that tower until you lose signal even if you're next to a new tower.

G

Remember if you have a jailbroken or unlocked iPhone don't upgrade right away. Wait to hear if it's safe http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09/09/iphone-21-to-be-available-friday-september-12/

Audiose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
[citation][nom]dcopen[/nom]@ AudioseMake sure you have your facts straight before you start jumping all over our friends here at Tom's Hardware.If you really work in the "cellphone industry" then it must be a sad state of affairs for you. Apparently you know nothing about how cell phones work. So please stop spreading misguided information!!Switching back and forth between 3G, EDGE and GPRS most certainly effects voice data. Voice is still data and uses bandwidth. It doesn't require nearly as much bandwidth when compared to web browsing which is why you'll see GPRS pull about 40kbs. Now the reason for the dropped calls is due to the iPhone's inability to switch towers from 3G to EDGE to GPRS... etc. It likes to hold on to the tower that you placed the call from. It will hold onto that tower until you lose signal even if you're next to a new tower. [/citation]

Due to non-disclosure agreements, I am unable to comment further. I can confidently say that your information is incorrect. I can also state that there *is* a difference between voice and data, which is why they bill differently. The network recognizes them differently and the services connect to different elements on the cell tower. I'd sure like to know where you got your information, because *if* I am wrong (and the thousands of employees working for various cellular carriers and the thousands of network engineers working for these carriers are wrong) then it would be good to share the light. Honestly. I can merely state that the information I am getting is coming in good faith from network trainings I have attended for years. The software I use allows me to see the different elements required for data vs. voice and believe me they look, act, and respond differently. If I reset voice services, they do not affect your data services. And vice versa.

G

I think you both have way to much time on your hands...you might need to hug it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.