capture MPEG-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hey guys can I capture movies from my capture card in MPEG-4 using divex? and how? cuaz I can't find it on the list and if I can't use Divex what should I use.thanx

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that using Virtual Dub you can encode directly to DivX/MPEG4. The bad news is your system is very likely not fast enough to handle a mpeg4 stream in real time at any decent resoultion. I'm running a 1.3GHz system with 7200RPM HDs and an ATI AIW video/capture card. My system cannot handle high resolutions in real time so first I encode to MPEG2 and convert to MPEG4 offline. If your capture card and hd can use mjpg you might want to record to mjpg first and convert to mpeg4 second. Check out <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A> and <A HREF="http://www.divx-digest.com" target="_new">http://www.divx-digest.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.vcdhelp.com" target="_new">http://www.vcdhelp.com</A>

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

I want add something: DivX is not realtime codec - even in low resolutions (when your system can process stream without drops) quality is worst then in case of postprocess. Picture is unacceptable.

G

Curently there is now way to do it with good quality. The Processing power needed is just to high.
You might be able with some monster render farm, but then there is no software that will do it. :(

G

Yes - so true. We will have to wait for the 64 bit processor and or a dedicated board that has hardware mpeg4 encoding -- that will be progress in the video editing world -- well, when we also have DVD players that read mpg4 as well. -- It's nice to dream - but furstrating!
Take care
Patrike

G

well I was able to capture directly from my TV-Tuner to DIVEX codec on 387x288 with 24 bit RGB color and I didn't even drob a frame and the qualty was very very good!!
the proplem is that I can't capture for more than 37 minute.why ?
my system is
ATHLON K7 700MHz
192M.B SDRAM
47 W.D HDD
BT848 capture card.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that your quality would be better if you first recorded to mpeg2 at a higher resoulution and later converted to divx off-line with a VBR process. Still your results are impressive. Tell us more about your capture card...please.

G

I tried that befor it's the same qualty and I can save more than the half time it's only takes the time of the movie.
any way my card have BT848 chip from BROOKTREE and it's verry old the driver that came with was design for win95 and I still use it> I don't know what brand name I thinke it's TV-MATE (never heared about it befor) and the qualty is very good I tried to capture to higher resoloution but didn't work and CPU usage reported maximum at 60%!!
but I have a lil proplem that I can't record for more than 37 minute don't know why?
any idea will help

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was playing around with mine and the best I can manage is around 18fps with uncompressed sound and divx video running a 1.3GHz and 128MB RD800 and a 7200rpm hd.

I got some ideas about yours. What OS are you using? What type of sound compression are you using? Maybe most importantly how big is the file size of your 37min video?? My system dies when trying to use mp3 and divx in real time. If your file size is right at 2 or 4 G then you are running up against a limit of the file system used by windows. Let me know what you find, I might be able to help you get around the problem.

G

I'm usin winME and I'M using PCM uncompressed audio? my size file size with 37 minute is 115 m.b I tried to use MP3 but there is no way

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That file size looks like the size that video only should be unless you are seriously compressing sound as well and you claim you are not. Is the sound going to a seperate file? Do you gotta mux in the sound later? If your entire file size really is only 115M then I'll not be able to help you. Uncompressed sound takes up tons of room.

G

actully the sound and the video are in the same file and i still have that proplem. I thinke i know know why most of u were not able to capture divex u have to use the 4.01 ver i tried diffrent ver this is the only one did work. about the audio I'm not sure from the compressing cuz I'm using the program that came with my card "TV-MAX" wich is not allow me to choose the audio compressing that's why I thought it's uncompressed audio.
thanx for u r replies

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Something is not adding up here. I think I found your card and here are the max framerate specs claimed by the manufacture:

Video Digitizing Formats and Maximum Frame Rates
Color format, Capture resolution, Frames per second, Notes:
RGB32 160x120 15 ...
RGB24 160x120 15 ...
RGB16 (565) 320x240 15 ...
RGB15 (555) 320x240 15 ...
Y8 320x240 30 Greyscale
RGB 8-bit dithered 320x240 30 ...
YUY2 4:2:2 320x240 24 UYVY by byte swapping
BtYUV 4:1:1 320x240 30 3 words pack 8 pixels
YCrCb 4:2:2 320x240 24 ...
YUV12 320x240 24 Verticle subsampled 4:2:2
YCrCb 4:1:1 320x240 15 ...
YUV9 320x240 30 Verticle subsampled 4:1:1

You indicated a resolution of 387x288. DivX must be blowing up a smaller original of 320 by 240 to get 387x288. This is a little wasteful and you might do even better by going to 320 by 240 since that is (evidently) your source size.

Does your card or software say anything about Zoltrix?? I'm gonna try divx4 tonight and see if I get results like yours. Using ATI's mpeg2 I can do 640 by 480 at 24 frames/ sec including sound with no dropped frames but using divx3.11 the best I can do is about 18 frames/sec at 320 by 240 with no sound.

G

I may have a solution for you... Or rather, an explanation.
When capturing to AVI file, the mechanism makes you "specify" how many frames you're going to use front-up.
The default is 32000+/-, which is about 21 Min at 25FPS. Now, Either your program sets it to another value (circa 50000), or you record at less than 25 FPS.
I was quite puzzled by this at first when I built my first Vid-Cap application...
Hope it helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.