Microsoft/Seinfeld Commercial Airs to Collective 'Um, What?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

really bad add to say the least. I don't understand who the target was.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
WTF BBQ was that!??!? It was literally about nothing. Maybe the point is to get everybody that watched it to say "WTF" and look into Vista more? Errrr ok.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Well guess Jerry is once again making alot of money by recording something about nothing. Like Resonance451 I also found it funny how it had nothing to do with MS except that Billy was in it.

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
And yet, here we all are discussing it, waiting for the next commercial to air.... Unorthodox but it did generate a buzz.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I kinda dug it... unorthodox, odd... and the point is "the future", implying that while many things that have been done at m$ have not changed, "something" is in the works to make it all better.

whether that is true or not remains to be seen... but If they had done anything close to old style they would have been ripped for being out of touch. Too much like an apple ad and they are "also-rans"... there is really no other direction they could have gone w/o getting completely slammed by reporters and us.

kudos IMO.

frozenlead

Distinguished
...in other words sojrner, this ad means absolutely nothing unless you analyze it to pieces, which, IMO, can be done to draw meaning out of a box of plastic spoons, too.

I have one thing to say.

FAIL.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Actually...it would have been great if he would have picked the shorts out of his ass (c). Now that would have been funny!

It's too bad they don't have ribbons of shame in the U.S. like they do in Japan. If they did they would have applied many ribbons along with hard hitting blows with a stick of bamboo to anyone who had anything to do with this sad attempt at marketing shoes.

Sell your shares...the SS Microsoft is taking on water and when it sinks is anyones guess.

G

Actually, I rather liked it. No in-your-face garbage like most commercials. I find that I avoid products with slogans.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
What I find pathetic, is that Microsoft is spending this $300 million on an ineffective ad campaign to an uninterested audience, when it should be putting this money into further development and improvement of the existing product. Talk about too much money and not knowing how to spend it....

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I actually thought it was pretty funny. I think everyone expected it to be about how great vista is, or at least trashing apple, so they made an ad about shoes. It creates buzz and throws everyone's preconceptions off so you don't know what to expect from the next ad. What I would have hated is an ad showing off the great features of vista. I think everyone would have ignored that anyway.

G

I thought the ad was pretty funny but started to fizzle at the end. Not sure how it is supposed to be an advertisement about Vista when the word Vista isn't spoken or doesn't appear even once. Either way here we are talking about it... so I guess it was at least quasi effective.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I watched this trash twice...(you can start boo-ing me now =)...The first time I sat there in anticipation, waiting for at least something funny, but no...the entire time I just sat there, expressionless, blinking more frequently than usual at irregular intervals. The second time was because I got frightened that I had somehow totally lost my sense of humor. I mean don't get me wrong, I like dry humor, and while I don't find Jerry Seinfeld to be particularly laugh-till-it-hurts-funny, I was sort of hoping a cool 10 mil would have bought Micro$oft at least a chuckle or two from viewers instead of the prevailing confusion and resounding WTFs. I mean s*it, for 10 mil, they could have me shove a Vista installation disc up the Mac guy's ass...literally. I think more people would want to see that.

Too much $$$ and not knowing what to do with it is right.

The saddest thing is, Micro$oft has probably just shot themselves in the foot, by not immediately giving people sitting on the fence between Mac OS X and Vista a definitive reason to switch. Instead, they have confused people even more as to why they should even bother caring.

F this...I do need a new pair of running shoes tho. Thanks Micro$oft.

G

Mr. William is a bad actor. Hi is like saying "I don't care about Microsoft or Windows anymore, why are you making me do it?"

G

A lot of the folks here probably don't like subtlety, are too impatient to allow a story to be creatively told, have a higher opinion of their advertising know-how than they deserve, and like to complain about Microsoft.

When an unconventional ad appears on one's television, should we not rejoice? No? Why not? I guess being open to new experiences is odious to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.