meridius10

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
A neighbour of mine has a very old pc bought in c.2000.

I told her I wasn't sure if I could replace the operating system for her as I don't have any of the drivers. It was Win 98 upgraded to XP Pro (it is really ancient!...).

I told her that aside from buying a new pc, the best thing would be to undo the hard drive (it must be 3.5" IDE hard drive?) and put a new one in in case I mess up the installation.

I would then have to physically remove the old drive and install the new one. Do I need any new/extra cables?

My other main concern is drivers. How do I pick up the drivers for it. Is there an online free site for drivers if XP does not pick them all up?

Thanks.

Ijack

Distinguished
Obviously if you are substituting a new hard drive you don't need extra cables; you just use the existing ones.

You go to the manufacturer's web site to get drivers. The better ones still supply XP drivers. The best will even still have drivers as far back as 95.

I'm a bit puzzled by your questions. Are you sure that you know what you are doing? And do you have a spare copy of XP, along with licence, to install?

meridius10

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Yes, I have a licence for XP and a spare disk.

The problem is the drivers as I have only owned Toshiba laptops and just go to one place to get them. What I don't want to do is get stuck on something that I can't find a driver for. There is also no documentation or original disks for this pc.