Is kaspersky a good anti virus?

nirrtix

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I am about to try another antivirus, and I heard Kaspersky is good. I have used Norton and McAfee and both suck.

Basically I want something that is as effective as possible, with minimal bogging down of the system like norton.

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

As previously noted, Trend Micro is very effective. As is several of the free to home user's such as Avast, Avira, AVG. Personally, I prefer Comodo CIS, and Malwarebytes Pro, as a supplement to the AV.

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

AVG has those frequent NAG screens to purchase , if I remember correctly.

nirrtix

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

Well I know that Norton is a system hog. I know there are plenty that are not free. I was jsut saying I do not have a problem paying for something that is not a system hog and keep my computer clean of viruses.

grafowler

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

You won't go wrong with Kaspersky, detects all known baddies and doesn't hog the system. Why do you think that most businesses and big corporate companies send all their software to be tested to Kaspersky, enough said!

rebelx

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
When did Trend Micro all of a sudden get good? It's always been a resource hog for me.

In order of preference: ESET NOD 32, Kaspersky, Norton Internet Security

In order of cost (cheapest to most expensive): Norton IS (usually free after rebate), Kaspersky (free - $5 after rebate), NOD 32 (rarely on sale).

ESET seems to be lightest on resoures, then Norton, then Kaspersky. All of which for me have been better than Trend Micro, McAfee, Panda.

I definitely do not recommend AVG. I've always had way too many problems with it. Avast is a better free alternative, as is Microsoft Security Essentials.