HARD SISK SETUP FOR EDITING HD VIDEO, HELP!!!

P910607

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Dear Forum!

My name is Tom Woods and I used to study on DFI and now working on a PhD, and I was hoping that you may be able to advise me or point me in the right direction, in regards to the question below.... (your time permitting) : ) Im not sure if you are in this area or not, my apologies to you if this is the case.. Here goes..

I'm getting Adobe Production Premium installed where ill be using Photoshop, After Effects, and Premier Pro, and need some advice on my current Disk Setup to maximize performance to work with editing HD 1080i video.

My question is;

"Which of my internal 'Disks', do I assign the following processes to, these processes are;

Photoshop: SCRATCH DISK

After Effects: DISK CACHE

Premier Pro: SCRATCH DISK Captured Video / SCRATCH DISK Captured Audio / SCRATCH DISK Video Previews / SCRATCH DISK Audio Previews
Premier Pro: MEDIA CACHE FILES / DATABASE
And finally the recorded Video 'parts' ready for editing, and the 'previews', and then the 'saved project file'.

My current Disk setup is:

C: SSD - 90GB (quite full)

D: SSD - still considering size to purchase

E: SSD - still considering size to purchase

F: HDD - 500 GB (currently used for all Video Parts and all work)

*Also, for drives D & E, what 'SIZE' in GB would they need to be for assigning the Scratch, Cache and other files mentioned above? (when i purchase them)*

If you can help me out with this it would be totally amazing, im really stuck and finding internet advice very unclear..

I appreciate you will be busy but I thought I would try here first for some help! Thank you so much for reading this so far...

My Best regards to you

Tom Woods

RealBeast

Distinguished
I use and would recommend a 240/256Gb scratch disk -- the same one can be used for Photoshop and Premier since you won't be using them at the same time, and with this larger disk size After Effects can be used there also. I would set the size depending on how big a render you do and give it plenty of extra space.

Optimize your OS disk -- you do not want it nearly full as it does take some time for TRIM to clean up and your system performance will suffer. So look through a good optimization guide like this: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/ and clean up that drive -- no hibernation or sleep needed, just power down your monitors after a bit; also consider system restore, and moving your paging file to another drive (even an HDD).

The real answer is that it depends on your budget, but why consider two new SSDs -- just get one larger drive, whatever you can afford 256Gb or 512Gb. And watch for a sale -- a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 is often $160 for 256Gb now, and a bit more per Gb for the 512.