Bookmark Every Page Visited with software?

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I visit hundreds of webpages per day - I also have frequent browser crashes because I have about 1000 tabs open at any given time.

I'm interested in somehow automatically bookmarking EVERY page I visit - to create a permanent history/trail of the pages I've visited.

The History features of the major browsers do not impress me as they often lump together pages into 1 entry, seem to always be missing things, don't record back far enough to serve as an archive (even when I have them set to do so)... etc. I just don't trust them.

While the browsers do have the 'bookmark all tabs' feature, this isn't helpful if 1. I forget to do it but more importantly 2. if I already left the visited page.

So I'm looking for someway to create a permanent list of links which represent every single URL visited.

--

I've attempted to use surveillance software on my own machine which does indeed track every URL as I wanted, but was very buggy, causing massive system slowdowns, creating 10GB files repeatedly, and other nonsense - it also seemed to miss certain pages I visited, no idea why.

If anyone has a solution for this - I'd be incredibly grateful to learn of it. It seems like a reasonable feature set to me - A FULL archive of one's web travels...

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Answering my own question...

I haven't been able to find something that does exactly what I want - presumably I could create my own though it probably can't be browser agnostic unless I can somehow get access to ALL outgoing network URL page requests...

But.. for Firefox anyway, this addon is somewhat in the range of the functionality I'm looking for - it allows bookmark all tabs without having to call the menu, but perhaps more significantly, it automatically saves all tabs to a timestamped folder when you close the browser (annoying but...)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmark-current-tab-set/

*However, while it bookmarks all open tabs, it still doesn't create a log list of ALL visited URLs... so I'm still looking for a solution for that...

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I tried setting up Open DNS on the router so I could get an IP log, but unfortunately I have a "locked" router from my ISP (a Thomson).

Is there another way to access the IP log from the router?

You should not need to setup anything on the router, ever router I have seen has an option to turn on logs for web sites. If yours does not, you should be able to replace the router with your own, unless it's one of those combo routers with a built-in modem.

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I'm not sure it has a log for websites... there's a 'Local Log' under the firewall which says "Local Log : This page allows configuration of Firewall event log reporting via email alerts and a local view of the attacks on the system. "

It asks for an email and SMTP server name/etc.

But know neither how to make that work, nor if it's what I'm looking for...
--

It is, annoyingly, a combination router+modem - I do however have my own router - if I chained the router to the combination one, would I be able to set up the log on my router? (this would probably introduce latency)...

The log won't work for your router unless you turn off the router function on the combo using.

The firewall log is probably what you want, but you don't need to setup the email for it, you can just check the log on the device itself.

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I don't think you understood the question quite right... I'm also not interested in 'cloaking' links or anything like that; that software looks rather suspect to me for one reason or another...

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
And - I've just decided the run the modem/router in DMZ, and got a high quality wireless router which I put Tomato on, and run a DNS off that so I can get the logs.

bretleduc

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I'd be interested in this too. It's strange that there are hardly any google results for "automatically bookmark every page i browse to" either.