What is the best Anti-virus program for a gaming PC?

nirrtix

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I currently use Norton Anti-Virus, mostly because the license for it is free copy from a 3 license set. I have found over the years that Norton is a system Hog and also misses viruses sometimes. I am sure there is no perfect anti-virus that does not misss stuff, but when I build my new system I would prefer a system that uses a different anti virus.

This is the system specs in case it is necessary:

- Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed 3.4GHz Unlocked 3rd Generation Processor
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- DDR 3 16 GB 1866 mhz (Patriot Brand)
- Black Enermax Hoplite SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ECA3220, w/ Side Window and 12cm Blue/Red Combo-LED .
- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1155
- Seagate 1TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive
- Black LG UH12LS29 Internal SATA 12x LightScribe Blu-ray Optical Drive, w/ 3D Playback and M-DISC Support, 16x DVD+R/-R, 4MB Cache. OEM
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Corsair Force Series GS 2.5in 360GB SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), Model: CSSD-F360GBGS-BK. ds-dh

nirrtix

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Let me rephrase what I meant. Are there any good antivirus programs that are not system hogs. I jsut want something that protects my computer well, but does not bog down my system like Norton.

silhouttejames

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I use only the free version, but I have had pro before and I must say.

It is the best for these reasons:

It does not conflict with other programs.

It has sandbox mode

It is not resource heavy

You can turn it off with grace and ease...like 2 clicks...you cannot say that about Norton or CrapOnme (McAfee). Say, If you had to install an app or you wanted to forgo having it on to run another scanner, such as Combofix.

It includes a boot-time scanner that can assist getting those PITA bugs that just won't let go.

All AVs use the same CVE database for detection signatures...why pay more for programs that actually have REMOVAL TOOLS. when AVAST just gets it done.

ISYN, if you roll Norton or McAfee you should always run the removal tool after uninstall to make sure it is really gone...or it might conflict with your new AV.

I have repaired PCs for years and even previously worked as a computer technician for a small company, if someone did not wish to buy into the hype of Norton or just did not wish to spend the money per computer. I always suggested AVAST! as a free option and always encouraged them to upgrade to Pro if they enjoyed the software.

drewsays

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Comodo Internet Security Completely Free and awesome.... Anti-Virius + Fire-wall.

They even offer Anti-Virius Protection for Linux if you need it haha.

What more could you ask for?

COMODO

warblers

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
if you want to use free software, I think Microsoft Security Essentials is best. I'm using it, it works very well. i like music and use relax and entertainment on yepiclip.com

king smp

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Avast is the best free one I have found

Nortons 2012 was working great for me when I had it free from Comcast.

I read all the reviews that came out and Nortons kept coming out as a number one pick for paid AV
2012 is a huge improvement on Nortons and is NOT a system hog anymore

Herr_Koos

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I'm an MSE user as well, never had a problem with it. It's lightweight and effective.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
BitDefender is generally rated the highest, along with Trend Micro and F-Secure.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

edwardsmith

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Why you are going to change your antivirus in my view Norton is best antivirus for keeping all kind data safe and also for gaming PC. if you are facing some problem with Norton you can get help from " Norton help " team at any time.