Type in only documents in word 2007

mrthomasbkk

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hi, here Tomas, i have an request, for a excel - word project i am working on, i need a option to lock down the word document to be only type in, so after typing in ideas of the person, they can't be able to delete, copy, overwrite anything typed into the document. Maybe it's too simple but i don't know how to protect the word document to do just that, please help.

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
It can be done, but not in word. I don't know if you're much into programming, but it would be a pretty simple thing to do (with the exception of file deletion, since you cannot protect a file from being deleted).

mrthomasbkk

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hello Sinius
I am not really into programming much but i give it a try. What do you mean by "outside of word", could you please elaborate if possible step-by-step?
Many thanks, hope for a solution which i can implement

mrthomasbkk

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Hello Sinius, thank you for your effort, but it is not what i am looking for, the same i can do in word also, locking the text/cells etc. what i need is a way to may lock a structure of either excel and word documents of my project and restrict it to be ONLY writable but no delete nor change any entries, so i can follow the progress and the user can't cheat. Maybe also automate it to time, 1 week and when the new week starts it will be automatically locked cells etc. Can you think of any kind of protection like this, as i am not very good in vba, but am willing to learn what is available???

Many thanks again,
Tomas

mrthomasbkk

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

My project is a KPI system which has mostly Excel sheets and graphs where the user has to key in there respective amounts they may save to make the company more effective working to come to best results, there is also a word document included which needs to be progressively filled in with ideas and solutions but the user may try to cheat, to avoid this i need to have the word document be ONLY writable, but no deletion as i need to see the progress flowing.

You can make the document and directory save only, but the problem is that they can make a copy of the document, edit that, and copy it in.

You can't make text permanent in a document with no editing after that. What do you do for spelling or grammar or other edits?

If you want to do something like this, turn on revision checking, lock down rights to the files after it's saved, best you can do.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

See my original answer. You can probably do what you want with scripting (VBA), but you cannot stop the user form disabling scripting and modifying the text.

How about looking at another solution? A web based application could do what you want easily.