Premiere Pro projects

dedekind

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm completely new to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. My wife has been using CS4 for a while but now we have a new build and I just installed CS5.5.

Now, while she has experience in editing, she doesn't know anything about hardware, while I don't know anytying about Premiere. I just have a couple of basic questions.

For the moment, my storage set-up is as follows:
- 1 Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, intended to be for OS and programs (e.g. it's where I installed PP).
- 2 Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM; will put in RAID 0 (actually have only one right now, waiting for the other one to arrive next week or so. Let's pretend we have the two in RAID 0 already).

Now, my intention would be to use one of the Hitachi's as the media drive, where I'll put all the footages, stills, etc., and the other one would be the drive where PP will work. So all the "scratch disks" will be this second disk, and I will export everything here as well. (We do plan to upgrade the number of drives in the near future but not right now since budget is limited).

1) Very basic question. When creating a project, where is it convenient to locate it? I think the project file is not big or anything, but I also think it gets written a lot so maybe the SSD is not the best choice? In that case I'd put in in the first hitachi where my media is (according to PP guidelines).

2) Even after creating a new project on this second disk, setting all the scratch disks, etc., the Media Cache Files and Media Cache Database still point to a directory in my SSD boot drive C:. I think I don't want this to happen, do I? Apparently it's not a huge amount of space that this occupies, but anyway.. I'd like to keep things as clean as possible, although also as fast as possible, so I don't know what I should do here (I also want to be careful with my SSD, don't want to make too many unnecessary writes to it).

Thanks!

RealBeast

Distinguished
I use my ssd for project files and cache files, I bought it for the speed and I'll buy a new one when I wear it out, which is a lot longer than you think. I've seen some very interesting test that showed many drives perform better after quite significant writes, you should really read it (it will put your mind at ease): http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_performance_review_270tb_written

I use a couple of raid arrays on Adaptec 6805 drives for all significant size storage and output. Any really important is maintaining excellent back up of your raw footage and final projects -- losing either of those is painful.

dedekind

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
yeah, the wear out thing is kind of a myth for most of users. But still, SSDs are not big, mine is 128 GB which is not very much really. After just reading a bit, I'm afraid that the media cache files will occupy much of it..