Timer in a C++ program

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
i want to make a program of timed quiz (just like KBC).
I want to make a timer in this program.

Working of program
program will ask a question from the user and will show 4 options and will wait for user to enter a option, if user is not able to answer or is not providing any input then in 30 seconds program will display a message of 'gameover'.

So how to introduce this timer in a C++ program?
Please give me the codding of this timer (only need coding of timer).

Solution
I believe there is a function kbhit() in Turbo C that checks if a key has been pressed.

If you want to use Visual C++ then Googling "Windows Timer" should give you plenty of hits explaining how to use timers in Windows.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

All it takes i a quick reference search:

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/ctime/clock/
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/ctime/time/

Because this looks like some sort of homework, I will not code it for you, just give you pointers and references so you can learn.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
those links are explaining how to use clock and time.
but i need to know that how to give input in-between that countdown.

it is not my homework so you can freely provide me some codding on how to accept input from user in-between that countdown.

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm afraid that, as far as I know, there is no way to do this using Turbo C. (well, never say never, but it would certainly be extremely difficult if it is possible). It is a very old compiler and cannot produce multithreaded code, or call the Windows APIs, which is what you really need.

This would be trivial if you were using a compiler that could access the Windows API, such as Visual C++. Turbo C was a fine language in its day, but that day is long past. I am constantly amazed by the number of people still using Turbo C when there are so many more modern compilers available.

Edit - on second thoughts, I believe that Turbo C had a delay() function. So write a loop that checks for a keypress, does a one-second delay and increments a counter. Exit the loop when a key is pressed or the router reaches, say, 30. It's not very clean or accurate, but should work. I'll leave you to fill in the details.

Ijack

Distinguished
I believe there is a function kbhit() in Turbo C that checks if a key has been pressed.

If you want to use Visual C++ then Googling "Windows Timer" should give you plenty of hits explaining how to use timers in Windows.

Solution