Create self installing Ghost image for windows 7

djc14925

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,
I would like to make self installing image of my daughters laptop for her. she is taking it to college and it would not be easy for me to reimage from long distance. The OS is win 7 pro with office installed. it does not have recovery partition and did not come with install disc's I bought it used and did a clean install and preferr she not have to take all the disc's with her, she is not that savy on installing windows. What program can I use to make self install image/iso from dvd?? I can connect the HDD from laptop to my computer with a usb/ide/sata adaptor.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I have to ask, why it would be necessary for her to re-install her machine?

You can check out Clonezilla. I think it can do something similar at least. It can't do multiple cd's or dvd's, but if you need more than that you can always use a usb drive.

http://clonezilla.org/

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

djc14925

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Simply because I know her and she has a bad habit of toasting her windows and I have to reinstall it quite often. I dont know what it is she does I keep norton through qwest on her computer she doesnt install many apps mostly I do it for her.

abekl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I went through a similar thing with my nieces. Eventually they have to learn not to muck the system. Also, on campus there will be resources to help her (IT, book store, computer labs).

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Peoples say that restore windows with the help of Ghost image is not good for your hard disk.Is this true?

aford10

Distinguished
No, imaging a hard drive with Ghost has no negative impact on the hard drive. This is how I roll out our PC's where I work.

You need to get a good image, but the installation of that image has no harmful effects.

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Let suppose due to my windows problem if i restore windows by ghost image then it will not be harmful for my hard disk?

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Let suppose after each month due some problems my windows is not running properly and needs reinstallation then is it right(not harmful for hard disk) to restore windows with ghost image.