Game Design (CryENGINE 3)

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I downloaded the CryENGINE 3 SDK a few weeks back and have been playing around with it a little. It is fairly straight forward and there are tons of tutorials out there already.

I wanted to see if anyone else here on TH has been playing with it, and what are your experiences.
(Also, Please feel free to show some of your work)

I have been trying to teach myself the SDK along with MAYA for the modeling.

Does anyone know where a non-designer can get some tutorials for character design, character animation, etc.
I would really like to become proficient in game design (entirely for personal fulfillment)

For me this is becoming a close to impossible task. (I am a SAP consultant by trade, with a degree in System Security, so my mind is not geared towards this form of creativity and I lack any kind of professional experience/teaching) :pfff:

Any help or Submissions of your personal work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Christa Jones

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
It's no wonder that you being a gamer would want to work in the industry and aspire to be a designer, or some kind of networking engineers. But creating a game today is a collaborative effort, involving the work of different people, most importantly the game designers. It is one of the most glamorous job in the industry. There are several online tutorials and even courses available nowadays, for aspiring game designers. I think the site http://www.computergamedesign.org/ would be helpful in in your case. It has detailed information about video game designer career.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Well done for just going for it.

Whilst it almost seems somewhat of a childish "let's build a computer game" notion, you may want to ask if any of your friends or colleagues are interested in being involved. Ideally if you can get artistic people involved you can learn with them. Christa is spot on about game development being collaborative but I'd say it extends to any type of software development.

Alternatively maybe take some art classes or just start drawing by hand in your free time?