Icons on desktop have dissapeared

PcEthuaist

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
some folders and files on my desktop have dissapeared. I do not know when but probably yesterday or so. I also have 0 mb of free space on C drive, and I am not sure whether or not all of the missing folders are in my recycle bin or not because I forget what each folder contains. I also checked for malware with malwarebytes with safe mode. Another wierd thing is that mse can't update and comes with an error message that says that it has expired.

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

There are procedures for recovering Icons/folders etc, but are OS version dependent.

windirstat portable (CNET download) will show you where all the info on your hard drive is.

Truthfully though, you have classic symptoms of being infected.

PcEthuaist

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, I suspect that myself. I just don't know what to do to find out if I truly am if no anti virus, anti malware, anti spyware programs can detect an infection. Another theiry could be that when I go to web pages on firefox which is in my c drive, that the webpages overwrite other things on my HD. What should be my next step from here to determining infection or not?

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
You could try a system restore, to a date, prior to when you noticed things happening. In my readings, I have seen that the Win restore is not that effective, because it does not backup all registry hives. I use erunt.

You could also attempt a repair from your Win Cd, or Recovery Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Sounds like you have used alternate methods of scanning for malware and/or viruses, and that is good.

aford10

Distinguished
Since you have 0MB of free space on your C drive, you'll need to create an AV boot disc to scan the PC (unless you have another partition you can install an AV scanner to).

Here's the link to the AVG rescue disc. You can create a boot disc, and scan the PC for infections.
http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd-download

Once that's done, run through the malware guide in my signature. That should remove any remaining infections. Though, from there, it's a matter of repairing any damage the infection has already caused.

PcEthuaist

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
All right this is very strange, some more things on the desktop have dissapeared ( I do not know which since other's in my household have used it without permission), and I have a gigabyte of free space on c drive. As I said, I have used your tutorial on removing viruses and nothing.

Brian_12

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

Some virus/malware infections will hide all the files and shortcuts on your computer. To make your files visible again, download Unhide to your desktop.

Once downloaded, double-click on Unhide and allow it to run. It will remove the hidden attribute on all files and attempt to restore Quick Launch and Start Menu items to their proper location.

After that, try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections.

I hope this helps you,
Brian