Comcast Notice: Infected with a Bot

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I've been checking our Comcast Bandwidth usage because I know we are close to their 250GB Cap, and this month we were close at 230GB/250GB. So I actually checked the comcast account email to see if they were complaining about us using too much bandwidth only to find these messages saying you may be infected with a bot.

The messages say this:

>>>

Comcast Customer Security Assurance Notice

Dear Comcast Customer,

Your immediate attention is required. Constant Guard™ has identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a "Bot".

We strongly recommend that you visit the Comcast Constant Guard Center at https://constantguard.comcast.net for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).

A "Bot" is a malicious software or malware that is used to gain control over your computer, typically without your knowledge. Online criminals can use Bots to collect your personal and private data, such as Social Security numbers, bank account information and credit card numbers by monitoring your keystrokes. This can lead to identity theft and fraud.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this important online security notice.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

<<<

They are really from comcast, but they don't say anything specific, however they do offer a security service to help you with the bots they say you have for $129. I'm just trying to determine if these actually mean anything or if they are more of a marketing tactic by Comcast to get more money.

It seems they started sending us to these message a few weeks ago, when we started to use more bandwidth, so I'm also wondering if they just assume that anyone that uses more bandwidth than the typical Comcast Customer (Say >50GB or >100GB a month), is likely to have a bot actually using that bandwidth, so they just send out the messages.

Anyone have any ideas on these?