Best video player / codec.

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

I was wondering what kind of player / codec would be best used for highest quality movie playback? I'm currently using CCCP codec pack with MPC-HC. I read that using CoreAVC only decreases the load on your pc. My pc is strong enough to handle most of what is thrown at it so I wanted to squeeze out as much quality as possible. Any suggestions? Some tweaks in settings maybe?

What renderer works best quality wise? Currently using EVR custom press. Read that some people compare WMR-9 with it but I haven't saw anything saying that 1 was far superior to other.

I'm using win7 ultimate 64bit, phenom II x4 965 cpu, gigabyte GTX 460 super OC, 4 GB ram, viewsonic 1080p screen.

Discuss what would increase quality of your playback!

All suggestions welcome. (Even hardware ;) )

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
If size does not matter then use Motion JPEG (M-JPEG). This video stream is simply a series of JPEG encoded frames, with no loss due to motion compensation or inter-picture prediction.

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

I understood that this applies to encoding of a video and not playback. I'm looking for the best way to play H264 ( and other ) encoded videos.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

You asked for a HIGH QUALITY codec, and M-JPEG will have a very high quality.

You cannot get a significantly higher quality of playback just by changing the decoder; almost all the quality is determined by the encoder. All recent video cards have hardware support for decoding and scaling H.264, so I am not sure what you really want. . .

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Well looks like this was caused by my misconception which was caused by coreavc offering significant increase in performance by using there decoder. I though to myself if they offer performance increase some 1 might offer quality...

Anyway could you explain what is the difference between EVR custom pres and WMR-9 output options on MPC-HC? And maybe something overall on all output settings...