• Avira (Free)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Microsoft Security Essentials

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Malwarebytes

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
G

So which AV do you use?? And if you have a reason why one is better then the other; do tell :).

I've been using AVG since a friend told me it was good, but reading the forums it seems a lot of people prefer Avast. I'm getting a new computer(gaming) and it doesn't come with a AV and i wanted to know whats good and whats bad in your opinions.

~malwarebytes might not be a AV (not sure) but i still added it to the poll since i use it and i suggest using it.~

Thanks,

-Austin

~This might belong in W7.hope this is the right section.seems like a grey area thread :sweat: ~

Viski

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I use Eset Smart Security. I've been using it for almost a year now and it has worked very well. I really like the firewall's interactive mode.

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
On my Win7, I am currently using Panda Cloud, which is easy to use (and free) -- just install and practically forget, and it is compatible with Microsoft Security Essentials, which is also installed. To continue to insure that compatiblility, I do not include either one of them in my scans. Immunet is also compatible with MSE, if you want to use a smaller cloud-based program, and I have used it in the past. I do not think it is as well-known as Panda, but it is gaining in popularity.

On my WinXP, I use the free version of Kingsoft Cloud, which I have used for several years, and is an excellent cloud-based antivirus program. New users of the Kingsoft free version, however, are not able to apply for a registration number, in order to update it. You get an error message that says you do not have an internet connection. Therefore, a newly downloaded free version will only work if you do not attempt to update it. I guess they now want you to use the paid version. There is no way to verify that, though, because emails go unanswered, there is no online support, and none of the box codes that appear for you to type in will work when you attempt to join their forum to ask a question. My old registration number still works on my XP for updating, but will not work on my other computer after a new download.

BTW, both AVG and Avast are excellent, but neither are compatible with MSE. Avast will deactivate MSE. Most cloud-based programs I have used, however, are compatible with MSE and will not shut it down. I have used some others with mixed results. Avir Antivir, Bitdefender, Norton, and G-Data are all excellent standalone programs. You should download trial versions (only one at a time, of course) to see which one works best for your particular computer system.

Ricochet_16

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
AVG & AVAST & MSE are all Antivuirus - You should not run more than one (1) Antivirus !

And you are right, Malwarebytes IS NOT an Antivirus APP. It runs as a supplement to your AVG and offers an extra layer of protection, including IP Blocking.

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
There are only three that I have tried that will definitely work well with MSE, and that is Panda Cloud, Kingsoft Cloud, and Immunet (also a cloud-based antivirus). In order for either of these to be compatible, however, you will have to first remove any traces of other previously-installed antivirus programs, and first install MSE. Then install only one of the three cloud-based programs. The one I currently use on my Win 7 is Panda, which does the work in the cloud…not on your PC, and it can be easily configured, no updating required. It currently has a higher malware detection rating than Immunet, although I’m sure there will be more improvements for Immunet in the future. Just go into Panda’s advanced settings and exclude MSE from scanning (you could exclude other trusted programs as well), do not run either AV scanner at the same time, keep MSE updated, and you should not have any problems.

Ricochet_16

moritzdave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Currently using Micro Trend Internet Security 2011. Wondering if Norton has gotten better or not, or is it still a resource hog like it was? Have used AVG in the past and it worked very good. Do not trust the MSE software.

aford10

Distinguished

I think you mean Trend Micro.

Yes, the newer versions of Norton have been much less resource intensive.

AVG free tends to let too many threats by.

And yes, MSE is a quality anti virus software.