Ad Adware Overall best antivirus?

BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I just finished getting the parts for my new $2000 desktop computer. I'm about to put it together, but I want to make sure I have the best protection from viruses, malware, etc. So, I read on pcmag that Ad Adware Pro is the best antivirus to date.

Here's the article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

I'm making this thread to hear some other opinions. I want my $2000 machine to be safe, so what do you guys think is the best setup for antivirus?

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
NIS 2011, I personally have had a bad experience with it. AVG 2011 Free, or if you are willing to pay for the product Kapsersky or Eset NOD32 both score very highly. For anti-malware, download Malwarebytes (Free) and SuperAntiSpyWare (Free). I would also recomend Hitman Pro 3.5 it is a anti-malware/virus scanner, it picks up anything your other products may have missed.

BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Despite your efforts, I decided I would actually like to get a free antivirus.

I believe I will be using Avast for my free antivirus.

For malware protection I will use Malwarebytes (paid), SuperAntiSpyware (free), and Hitman Pro 3.5 like mk-ultra recommended.

I would also like to use Comodo firewall: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
It says that the download will install firewall and proactive security. Will the "proactive security" interfere with my antivirus?

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I would recommend against the Firewall, the firewall provided with Windows 7 (if your using that) is more then good enough. Any additional Firewall will end up being more trouble then its worth. Are you paying for that firewall?

I personally have tried Avast free, and it seemed to eat up my resources (on my main computer). I would recommend AVG Antivirus free, very lightweight and easy to use.

G

Hate to say it, but you 2 are like the blind leading the blind. How many computers in the last week have you removed malware from? I average about 10 - 20 a week.Almost all have either no antivirus software, outdated or free. Are either of you in the computer service business? I have had my own for 8 years now and worked in IT the previous 25 years. Sorry but free anti-virus software is worthless. Avast being one of the most worthless. Why would you pay for Malwarebytes when you could have a complete security suite like NIS 2011?

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hate to say it, but you 2 are like the blind leading the blind. How many computers in the last week have you removed malware from? I average about 10 - 20 a week.Almost all have either no antivirus software, outdated or free. Are either of you in the computer service business? I have had my own for 8 years now and worked in IT the previous 25 years. Sorry but free anti-virus software is worthless. Avast being one of the most worthless. Why would you pay for Malwarebytes when you could have a complete security suite like NIS 2011?

NIS is one of the most resource intensive Antivirus products available. Free anti-virus software is better then nothing, all the programs i listed, will keep you better protected then if you just had NIS (so highly a claimed in your opinion). To answer your question 6, and I did it all remotely. There is no need to spend the money on NIS, it is a pain to uninstall and a hassle while it is on your pc.

G

NIS used to be a resource hog. Symantec has done a great job improving it. It's not a pain to uninstall if you know what you're doing. It's more of a "hassle" to clean malware from a computer.

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
NIS used to be a resource hog. Symantec has done a great job improving it. It's not a pain to uninstall if you know what you're doing. It's more of a "hassle" to clean malware from a computer.

I understand that it would be better then a free product, but it just can't stand up to Kaspersky or Eset NOD32. With NIS you can't just uninstall it regularly and be done with it, you have to download another norton product to get rid of it. If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't really need an antivirus in the first place, most of the stuff is common sense.

G

Sorry, but you're way off base. Norton's uninstaller works fine. You don't need to use the Norton Removal Tool any longer.

How can you predict which 50,000 websites the Chinese are going to hack into each week? How do you know which ad serving website or Google image has been posioned? Sorry, but "common sense" doesn't stop Chinese rogue AV programs. Have you seem the lovely Windows XP Recovery malware which hides all your files and moves your program shortcuts to the Temp folder?

Grumpy , evidently he hasn't really used any of the recent Norton products!

Grumpy is right the new Norton products are excellent and not resource hungry!

Over the past few years, Symantec has completed a course reversal for its Norton consumer Internet security suites. The massive package of security tools works better than it ever has before, with an impressive set of features, some useful new tools including the free Power Eraser, and third-party security efficacy benchmarks that are nothing short of remarkable.

soulkarver

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hey guys, I have a question.

What about Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 (unmanaged)? It is a free download from my university if you are a student. What is the difference between SEP 12 and NIS 2011? I heard they use the same anti-virus engine. Is this true? Would SEP 12 be good enough or would going with NIS 2011 make a world of difference in protection? I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.