Cinematic Creation Software

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hi there,

Having recently seen some professional cinematics, I'm wondering what sort of software they use to create these movies?

I'm thinking this sort of quality ------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNhs6sh3_Q&feature=feedf

I know the creators have spent years honing their skills and there is a process to learning how to create such masterpieces (and likely a budget) but what sort of kit are they using, and is there an equivalent that's available to the general public?

Thanks ever so much,

-Nih

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Hi Nihilis,

Well, there is one animation program I know of that is great and is on par with what you want, is available to the general public, and what is even more great is that it is open-source, free (libre) and free (of charge- unless if you are a corporation and7or intend to use it for commercial use).

The program name is Blender and you can access it from the link provided. You can also check out some of the animation and cinematics that users made from the Features & Gallery section.

Another program that is free (of charge) but is not open-source is Anim8or, however this program does not produce as professional a look as blender does....

Other programs that are used to make cinematics like this (but that are not free of charge) are 3D Studio Max, 3ds Max, Maya, Adobe Motionbox (sorry I couldn't provide links for these but a google search should lead them to their home page)... The cheapest of these programs is around $2000....

Hope that helps.

nicelynicely

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
3ds MAX, Maya for modelling, something like mudbox or z-brush for modeling organics, maybe the foundry's Nuke for compositing all the image sequences generated by 3ds max and maya together and altering them, then maybe after effects for adding effects to the video and autodesk smoke, then put together in something like Final cut.

Basicaly a lot of different software, blender is a good free alternative to 3ds max and maya, also theres a learning edition of SifeFX's Houdini however that software is more complicated and harder to learn than 3ds max and maya, also Autdoesk (devlopers of 3ds max, maya, smoke, mudbox) do free student versions of their software if your register as a student.