How exactly does one find out what AV and FW program they are running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend a few states away set up a good AV and FW program. I'd like to 1st find out what she is currently using. What is the best way (to describe to her how) to find out what AV and FW programs she is currently using? Also, I've heard you need to completely remove an AV or FW if you are going to use a different one. Is there a way to see if she has any other AV or FW programs installed besides the ones she's using?

Thanks,
-TG

Go to Add/Remove programs, the installed ones will be there.

Have her send you a screenshot of it if needed.

Yes you will need to uninstall whatever is there. Is she has a router, and has the Windows firewall on, that's all that's really needed. MS Security Essentials is a good AntiVirus. So is Avira, both are rated highest in tests.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I usually use Avira...I've heard good and bad things about MSE.

That's a great idea about the screenshot. Is there a way to see what's running in the control panel somewhere though?

Also, in what order should I uninstall an old AV and FW and install/run the new ones? My guess would be DL new, uninstall old, install and run new...would I want to unplug from the internet until the new is running?

You can see the processes running sure, but not all processes will have real "english" names that match the application. For example in Add/Remove Programs you will see "Avira Anti-Virus" but the process it starts may be something like avvir03.exe.

Install it in the way you have it listed. Don't worry about unhooking the PC from the internet for the few minutes it takes to install it, the risk of some random virus trying to get in at that second is so small, it's pretty much 0. The new program will need to connect to the internet for updates anyway.

For firewall, just enable the Windows one, and if the user does not have a Router, she should get one. It's not a good idea to run a PC directly off the modem as you lose the protection NAT and the Router firewall offers.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Would you mind explaining this a little please?

Status
Not open for further replies.