I want to stop someone from networking my pc

carla_d

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hello,
when i signed on to netflix there is someone who signed on to my network and shortly there after mcafee worned me of a program i might want to block...doesn't mcafee block the unwanted stuff or do i need a specific program to keep viruses from being planted...I am not a frequent user and barely do research, facebook and movies. but i have had viruses twice since i got this laptop in september 2010.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
So there are two issues at hand here.

1) Someone may have infiltrated your network.
2) You're concerned about your machine's security.

I'll address each separately:

1) We need significantly more details about your network to help. I'm guessing you're running a wireless network with no password or a rubbish password. In this scenario anyone in range can get access to your network and use your networked resources and internet connection.

2) McAfee will help block some stuff automatically. You shouldn't have to configure it to block specific programs. Does your McAfee security package have a firewall or is it just the virus scanner? Which version of Windows are you using?

Some of this might seem daunting if you don't use computers frequently but everyone must educate themselves about computer security or they put themselves at risk.