Java Runtime Environment Won't Update

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
^What the title says. Starting with the release of JRE 6 Update 23, I have been unable to install new versions of JRE. Because Update 23 didn't include any security fixes, I just left it at Update 22 and hoped that Update 24 would install. It won't. Every time I launch the installer, its process appears in Task Manager for several seconds and then disappears. During that time, WerFault.exe (Windows Error Reporting) also shows up. So, somehow, the JRE installer keeps crashing. Some notes and things I have tried:

■Uninstalling JRE completely and reinstalling. Still no go. The installers for Updates 23 and 24 crash, but the installers for Updates 22 and earlier work perfectly.
■Disabling all background processes and restarting. I was afraid that my AV or some other program might be interfering, but disabling every background process didn't help.
■Installing the pre-release of JRE 6 Update 25. It didn't work.
■Installing the pre-release of JRE 7. This time, the installer worked, but JRE 7 didn't load one of the applications I need Java for properly...
■Installing JRE 64-bit. This DID work. I am able to install the 64-bit versions of JRE 6 Updates 23 and higher without a hitch. Only the installers for the 32-bit versions crash.
■Creating a new user account. Same thing happened.
■This problem is happening to both of my PCs, so I'm thinking it has to be some program or tweak I've done on both computers. I just can't figure out what it is!

Any ideas? I'm really hoping to avoid a reinstall of Windows.

turing111

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Hello,

I am also having the same problem on two computers after installing SP1 for Windows 7: java 24 will not install, no matter which I download, the installer or the full package. After clicking "Install' nothing happens. Tried "Run as Administrator" and same reponse. Have also tried many of your work arounds but still nothing.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Haha, I got my hopes up when I saw that someone had replied to this old thread. :D
Can you try to run the Java installer with Task Manager open to the Processes tab? I noticed that "Werfault.exe", the Windows Error Reporting program, appears in my processes list a second after I try to run the Java installer. This indicates that the installer is crashing just after it starts to run. I'd like to find out if the same thing is happening on your system.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Yes, FileHippo is great! I used it to grab the JRE 6 u22 installer when I found that the newer versions wouldn't work for me.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

*Facepalm* Now why didn't I think of that? It worked! Thank you so much! Of course, it installed some dev tools I didn't want, but those were easily removable after the install completed. So, now I'm running the 32-bit JRE 6 Update 24. Hooray! :wahoo: