rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
My browsers freeze when I click on links and my programs freeze up if I click options. I do not have spyware or trojans or viruses and I thin I know what I need. I have five terabytes on my computer's hard drive and only 8 gbs of RAM. Do I need to replace the RAM. Is it expensive?

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Oh shoot! I just bought 16 GBs RAM! I defragmented just this week. ALL the drives. It took all day. I will say that when I added the three terabytes of drives on the computer it plunged to a crawl. The system resources say it is at 26% and Windows System, Norton, anything take all the power. C Drive I keep basically empty so I do not understand. It is frustrating. However, I thought I should balance the amount of drives with RAM a bit more. My computer store said that eight was just adequate for three TBs and now I have six not five, sorry. What do you think?

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
By the way, even tough my computer was just examined with a fine tooth comb by well qualified techs it still is scanned saying it is a Windows XP when it is a pristine Windows 7, 64 bits.

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Well the ram has nothing to do with storage space (salesmen)! Ram is for running processes, programs and applications. I see Norton in your post it is a known system hog. Please list all your system specs and drive inclusive of raid setups.

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Well, I did know vaguely about RAM but I have a huge lot of programs and applications I use. You are so right about Norton!
I am afraid I do not know how to list the information or where it is.
However, I ended up panicking and taking the computer in (and having them hold the check)(nice guys) anyhow, a program was installed in a drive other than C drive and there were other strange things.
It is working nicely and I backed up with Acronis to get a good shot of the system. Maybe, I can use that to send you a log?
Sorry I am exhausted and have a migraine.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
The fact that you said you have no viruses/trojans etc but are running Nortan alone means you are wrong.

Norton is a horrible AV tool and lets tons through.

You need to scan with something thats a good AV program.

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Here is the sad tale: I also run Malwarebytes as Norton does let things through. I had bought Acronis and it trashed everything. Lost a hard drive too. I still feel paranoid about the computer. I cleaned it up and removed excess programs that might clash with each other. I took the computer in and they worked on in for a very long time. Nice guys, honest and smart. They had the devil of a time removing Acronis. I did a clean uninstall and it wouldn't go. They had to go through the system and find where it hid. Still, lost my hard drive. Nasty.

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
That seems very difficult to find: a good AV. Plus, I spent a lot on Norton, drat it. I liked a program, I am sorry I forgot the name, but Norton bought and closed it.

rx293

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Thanks! I need a powerful one as I do a lot with my computer. I also have a security suite with firewall and anti-virus mixed. It is a pain. Sucks up the resources too!
I liked Avast and used it when I used Sygate.
R

mikehewitt001

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Chrome suggests clearing the cache on all browsers. I have done that to mine today as mine which is xp has just started to exactly the same thing recently.

Why I have no idea. I have cleaned the registry, virus scanned, spyware/malware scanned, defragged and optimized hard drives and still it does it.

Hopefully this has fixed it.

Regards, M