Truecrypt 7.0

haroonahmad

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi

I'm new to this encryption thing. I have downloaded TrueCrypt 7.0; it's fairly simple to use. I created a TrueCrypt volume container - a kind of file - which can mounted as a virtual drive.

The issues I have with TrueCrypt volume container encryption are:

1: anyone can delete the container which would mean that someone can simply delete the encrypted file (container) out of frustration and I'm the one who is going to suffer
2: anyone can copy the container; though one should have the password to use it
3: reformat the flash drive which would have the same consequences as in (1) above.

Is there any way to solve these issues? Please let me know. Thank you.

1. set file rights on the file to make it undeletable or setup user accounts that only have rights to get to the file.
2. see above
3. see above

You can't really block against formating and deleting the file. Encryption is meant to protect the data stored from unauthorized viewing not from it being deleted. If you are worried about the data, make backups of it.

For only not being able to delete, right-click on the file, go to Security, click on Advanced. Select the user account you want to change rights for (I strongly suggest you don't touch SYSTEM rights), click on Edit. In the list you will find Delete rights.

haroonahmad

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks. I'm using Win XP. When I right-click the file I don't find the Security in the list. Perhaps, the feature is only available in later systems. Could you please confirm it?

Are you running Pro or Home? Security options have been available in Windows for quite some time now, XP has it.