XP drivers for Sony PCG-71314L

wrb123

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm getting really frustrated because I can't find any evidence on Sony's website of my laptop even existing. It's a PCG-71314L that I got at Best Buy several months to a year ago. Windows 7 stopped working (long story), so I just wiped the hard drive and installed Windows XP. It now finally boots and runs fine, it's just missing drivers for a lot of the hardware (sound, video, network). It would be nice if I could find any evidence of this computer existing so I could get drivers for it for XP. I would be fine with downloading all the drivers from the individual parts manufacturers' sites if Sony doesn't want to put them all in one place for me. Can someone please help me figure out what wireless network hardware, video chip, sound chip, etc. this laptop has so I can get it up and running to give someone for Christmas?

Thank you

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
You might be stuck with win 7 because of the drivers, they might of made them only for 7 instead of for XP and since they designed their laptop motherboards you might be at a disadvantage.

I also forgot you can probably contact them for a rescue disc, if they have it?

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Did you try running Windows update? Try going to your device manager and check each individual component's manufacturer. Then, goto those respective websites and download the latest drivers for Windows XP. If all else fails, try DX Diag. This may work for audio too.

The easiest way is to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool:

Click Start.
On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks) , and then click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section. You can see the name of your card.