I need help with CD burning

mp3mvp_04

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi. I recently bought a CD from Walgreens for 2dollars and I cant burn new songs on it or delete them when I burned on them. the CD is called "Maxell Color CD-R. My questions are
1. how can I delete or burn more songs on the CD cause it clearly has more memory than 2or 3 songs that I have
2. Which types of CD's can I buy that will let me burn songs on them that I can later erase or add new ones so that I dont waste my money.

G

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Applications by Grumpy9117

Ijack

Distinguished
There are basically 4 types of recordable CD: CD-R, CD-RW, CD+R, CD+RW. (There are also CD-RAM, but they are not much used.)

As you can use CD-R disks, it's probably best to stick with CD-R or CD-RW.

CD-R disks can only be written to once. If the disk isn't full then you should be able to add more data providing that you haven't "finalized" the disk. It sounds as if your CD writing software is automatically finalizing the disk when you have written to it. You need to finalize a disk before ordinary CD players can read it.

CD-RW disks can be written to many times. You can't actually delete files on them, but you can erase the whole disk and use it again. (Again, that's not quite true; you can format CD-RW disks with a special format that make them act like hard disks, but that's not how they are normally used.)

I'd say the best disks for your purpose are CD-RW. They're not much more expensive than CD-R and you can use them over and over again. You might also want to check your CD writing software to see if there's any way to stop it automatically finalizing disks.

MauveCloud

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Some of this information is bad - there is no "CD+R", "CD+RW", or "CD-RAM" - the plus designation and "-RAM" only applies to DVD media, not CD. A DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD-RAM has a capacity of about 4.7GB, though there are dual-layer and double-sided variants of some that provide more total capacity. CD-R and CD-RW come in 650MB and 700MB capacities.

jollyjacktar

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Perhaps you could get hold of Nero Burning Rom...there is a freeware 'lite' version on the net.This is fairly easy to use and gives the option to'finalize' discs,preventing the waste of a new disc.Coupled with cd-rw,(re-writable) discs you should be ok...