Firefox, Chrome, & IE not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IE8 locks up when I try to open a second tab, either new or an existing one.
Firefox 3.6.12 won't run or open. I've tried from the task bar, from the desktop, from the start menu, and directly from the file folder. I completely uninstalled Firefox, ran the utilities, downloaded a new copy and reinstalled.
Chrome opens but won't display sites other the original site. It gives an error the app can't open the window and then it locks.

I ran Norton AntiVirus 14 and it found 2 trojans which I had it whack. I ran MalWare Bytes, and it found another which I whacked. I downloaded Spybot S&D and IObit Security 360. When all was said & done, 5 trojans and 2 very old Norton diagnostic files (early 2009 from and Norton product) were found and deleted. I ran Glary Utilties, ccleaner and Norton Utilities to look for registry errors, temp files, and other garbage. I've rebooted several times, deleted all files from a application I had installed Dec 1(I thought it was the culprit), restored Windows 7 Home Premium to a restore point before I installed the suspect app and run the utilities once more. Still the same problems.

I was hoping Win7 had a repair installation component as XP has but I can't find it. Any suggestions?

Solution
you might have a possible corruption install of Java.
you can try to un-install and then re-install the java apps.
last resort is to perform a clean install of the OS assuring no errors at all.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Quick update. I was checking mail on my litterbox site (AOL) and AOL quit displaying the messages. The first three or four were fine, then, the page would "load" but with no message text or image. Related? I'm writing from my laptop instead of the PC.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right. I ran the AVG scan from a USB dongle. I ran Norton Utilities & AntiVirus, IObit, MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D and Glary Utilities all from safe mode. Nothing was found by any. Firefox still will not run. Chrome opens but still returns "The following pages have become unresponsive - New Tab. You can wait or kill it." Chrome cannot access the 'Net.
Next?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right. I ran the AVG scan from a USB dongle. I ran Norton Utilities & AntiVirus, IObit, MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D and Glary Utilities all from safe mode. Nothing was found by any. Firefox still will not run. Chrome opens but still returns "The following pages have become unresponsive - New Tab. You can wait or kill it." Chrome cannot access the 'Net.
Whoops! Fixed Firefox. Profile data was corrupted. Whacked default profile, created new profile. IT opened and tabs seems to be working. Now about Chrome...
Next?

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
you might have a possible corruption install of Java.
you can try to un-install and then re-install the java apps.
last resort is to perform a clean install of the OS assuring no errors at all.

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Found the problems.
1) Firefox profile was corrupted. Went to http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%20profiles?s=delete+profile&as=s#w_starting-the-profile-manager to learn how to fix.

2) Deep rootkit virus was lurking about screwing up Chrome. Went to AVG and got their Rescue CD and loaded it onto a USB stick. http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

3) IE 8 was just being IE8.

All is well in Happy Valley.

The rootkit was doing more than just messing with Chrome, you can be sure of that. A rootkit can alter the OS itself and can hide from an installed AV scanner. Very bad juju.
Keep checking your system to make sure the rootkit episode has ended.
RootkitRevealer and Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Run those is Safe Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS