Cyberlink Power DVD 10 Vs Apple Quicktime

Neil Jones

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Can someone please explain to me why Apple's free Quicktime player is so much better at playing video than Cyberlink Power DVD 10?

Cyberlink and other DVD players can't seem to handle having the video slider bar be dragged forward without crashing while Apple's free Quicktime player never has this problem and never crashes. I find it so annoying I'm thinking of converting my DVD formats so that I can use Apple's Quicktime player.

What videos are you talking about? DVDs? I would not use Power DVD to play anything but DVDs, and as far as I know, Quicktime player does not play DVDs. So the 2 are not really replacements for each other.

Does your Power DVD crash when you speed through the DVD? Check for patches maybe.

Neil Jones

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Further investigation on my end found that Apple's Quicktime player would not play any of my files that were larger than 2 gigs. I found a free player and downloaded it that does what I want... plays large files and doesn't crash when I drag the slider bar.

So far I'm really happy with this player. It seems to play every format I have tried so now I won't have to waste hours doing needless file conversions.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It's truly amazing to me that a free program is so much better than what is available commercially for playing videos.

Yea, that media player classic is good, many people use it.

Another good one is VLC. Whenever I re-build a PC for someone, VLC goes on there. One thing you may want is Real Player for playing Flash media. I find that the other players tend to have seeking issues with .flv files, and Real Player does not. Plus it adds a nice "download this file" button to flash videos on web sites, although it's effectiveness is less and less as sites update their code.

Neil Jones

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Okay I'll download VLC. Thanks for the tip. So far no problems with Flash media but if I do I'll get Real Player. I see no reason to keep Cyberlink Power DVD 10 or Quicktime on my PC and unless someone has a valid point to keeping either I'm going to remove both from my PC.

BTW, What purpose does the Divx player serve?

There are sites out there that use Quicktime, so don't remove it, just don't use it.

divx is a compression standard for video, and a very popular one. The player you don't need to use, VLC and I think the Media Player Classic had the codects to play divx files. You may need to have divx installed for them to use it, I always have it installed so don't know if the other players can run divx files without it.