Trouble installing the new nVidia 258 Drivers

Ralkyon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I really want to install the 258 Driver update thing, but every time I try, it reaches 100% and then I get a message that says

"Setup.exe has encountered an error and needs to close." It's an error report thing. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it? Google search doesn't come up with anything pertaining to this at all.

admiralslovo

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I don't know what the situation is but it couldn't hurt to completely unistalled all the old Nvidia files by going to Control Panel and click on Programs and Features in Vista. In XP go to Control Panel click on ad / remove programs. There should be three Programs NVIDIA Display Control Panel / NVIDIA Drivers / NVIDIA PhysX make sure they all are removed. Go to you C drive: to there go to START click on Local Disk (C:) and you will see the NVIDIA Folder. Just right click and delete. Next find you 258 driver update and click to install when finished re-boot and you are done. Maybe you know all this already but a clean install can't hurt some old files in the NVIDIA folder could be corrupt or have some compatability problems with the new driver files.

Frank