Firefox hangs when downloading files

Status
Not open for further replies.

1337dedrea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
I've been having trouble with Firefox version 3.6.8 where it hangs whenever i download any file. Ive tried changing where it saves the files, and cleared the download history, but neither of those common fixes have helped me. I've also tried uninstalling it completely, and saving my bookmarks, then reinstalling and reapplying my bookmarks, and that didn't help either. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. If anyone has a good suggestion let me know, any help is much appreciated.

P_williams

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
im using 3.6.10 and I'm having the same issue....it was actually working fine until yesterday, now using the right-click and
'save as' option on an image causes FF to hang for about 10-20 seconds and someti,es crashing completely.

I've cleared the download list, cleared all history and cache, ran CCleaner, Spybot and a full system virus scan...nothing found and Still having the problem. Any thoughts or anyone having a similar issue?

mikearelli

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I am running FireFox 3.6.13 and have the same problem. Download manager actually allows you to pause the download and restart it again. I watch to see if a file is downloading correctly. If not, I stop then restart the download. I have to do this 3-6 times before a reliable download continues. I don't seem to have this stop/restart option in IE8 so I don't use IE to download. Downloads hang in IE8 as well.

I have noticed that all 5 of my Windows 7 boxes here have this issue, but none of the 50+ XP boxes here have any trouble. I'm sure it has to do with Windows 7. Of the 5 Windows 7 systems, there are 3 different hardware configurations 64-bit and 32-bit, so I'm ruling out network drivers. Still leaning towards something weird in Windows 7. With 50+ XP systems with no trouble downloading, I am ruling out Browsers, Routers, Switches, Wiring or anything else between me and the internet.

I have already disabled IPv6, but that doesn't seem to help much. Any other suggestions for changes to Windows 7 would be greatly appreciated.

P_williams

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
After trying pretty much every conceivable work around, from un-installing and reinstalling FF to soaking a cloth in luke warm soapy water and giving it a good rub the issue still remains....then only a few weeks ago managed to find a solution....two infact.....either time travel back to 2007 when FF was usable...or my preferred option (simply because im too lazy to deal with the tedious nature of building a time machine)....start using google chrome.

Hands down the fastest, most user friendly browser I've tried...i wont be using anything else from now on!

Seriously I dont even know why I bothered trying to solve this issue when I could use a new browser....its like trying to dry off and reuse an already exhausted piece of toilet paper to wipe my arse when I could just as easily tear off a new piece!!
move and say goodbye to the browsing headaches folks, you'll be glad ya did!

Status
Not open for further replies.