FRAPS performance and hardware upgrades

Sweatdog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I have been frapsing Bad Company 2 for about a month now. Previously I was frapsing on WinXP with an Athlon 64 x2 3.1GHz, ATI 4850 512MB, 3gb of RAM with mix-matched speeds, and writing to my only hard drive, an 80gb SATA that came with an OEM DELL PC I bought in 2006. I run AMD fusion for gaming to get rid of background programs. Also using an older version of FRAPS (3.1.something).

My normal play FPS was in the mid 30's to upper 40's, and I ran all options for max performance with 800x600 resolution. My FPS while recording (full size output) would dip to the low 20's. This meant I couldnt record my ideal resolution 1280x720 (HD), and I could only run FRAPS about 20% of the time because of the FPS drop (also because of storage limitations).

I have since upgraded to a quad core phenom II 955 3.2GHz, 4x 1gb sticks of DDR2 PC5300, and a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB hard drive that I am experimenting with as my FRAPS-only drive, and a new MSI motherboard. I clean installed Windows 7 and downloaded FRAPS full version 3.2.2. Now my normal play FPS is 45-65 while running low settings at my target res, 1280x720.

Sorry for the fluff, heres my problem:
My FPS drops to 20-30 while I record, even after all these hardware changes. And although I have the "lock framerate" box unchecked, I can still see FRAPS is attempting to hold my framerate at 28 (my chosen output frame rate). My previous version of FRAPS didnt seem to do this. If I set the output FPS to 25 in hopes of lessening the burden on my system, my gameplay FPS hovers around 25. During heavy action the framerate still dips to the low 20's and then bounces back up to whatever my output FPS is set too, never higher.

Do you see any issues with my hardware or settings? TBH I expected a big more from my system across the board, and FRAPS in general. I am happy with 28FPS as my output, but I would like less of a performance dip while recording 1280x720 at full-size output, naturally.

Sweatdog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Consider this closed. 2 of my 4 cores were not active and I had to jump through some hoops to get that resolved.

Now FRAPS is kicking ass and all is right with the world.