Having trouble loading a certain site

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So basically I'm trying to load www.chegg.com and I am unable to load the page...

It was like this at my old house, and now at my new house. Also, it won't load on Firefox, IE, or Chrome.

When I go thru a site like virtual-browser.com I can load the page.

I'm stumped and can't find anything definite on Google...

any ideas?

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

i cleared cache and deleted all cookies and still doesn't work

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
delete history and try. CCleaner will help you delete more stuff also.

What OS are you using, btw?

And as amir said, hijackthis may be worth trying. It is a good diagnostics tool that gives very detailed reports. You can get it from Trend Micro, which itself sucks, but hijackthis is pretty good.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
yes i've scanned, and deleted history.........

i doubt that among all the pcs in the house though that some cache or cookie or history error is causing this

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Idk man but I asked it on yahoo too, though, so you might get an answer there. I'll let you know.

Hope you can resolve this issue soon. I don't know what else to try, unless just a different scanner to make sure you don't have a virus or malware.

What's your ISP? That probably has nothing to do with it, but it may help. You never know.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am with Road Runner...

yea, I have some older edition books that I can't sell for anything worthwhile, so I was gonna donate to Chegg.com and have a tree planted in the process... :/

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

The connection has timed out

The server at chegg.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Have you tried going to a specific page within the site instead of the homepage? Or going to it from a link instead? I had a similar problem with my email, and all I had to do was go to it from a link. It turned out that I was logged in to my email, so trying to load the log in page wasn't working. When I followed the link, it just took me to my in-box, and after I logged out it worked fine.

With the site chegg.com, I don't think this would be an issue, because the main page is not the log in page. But it may be worth trying out anyway.

Also, I found this on another site and it may be of use to you. It is for Firefox, but the procedure should be similar for IE and Chrome. The site he was having trouble with was his banking site, but he was getting the same error as you:

1) go to tools and click options

2) click on the advanced button and then click the network tab

3) then under connections click settings

4) click auto-detect proxy settings for this network.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
So you say it was like that at your old house and again at your new house. Are you using both the same computers? Are your browsers all up to date? How about your anti-virus? And what AV are you using btw? What kind of add-ons do you have for each browser?

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
same computer b/w both houses, but at the new house i also tried it on another computer...

i used firefox (up to date), chrome portable, and IE... no luck.
my AV is up to date and is AVG.
the only browser with addons if FF, and i'm running AdBlockPlus and FireBug.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

yup, i can still use amazon, ebay, and newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.