Do you like anything about the new Microsoft Office 2010 Beta

totalomega

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Here is what Microsoft thinks:

1. Express your ideas more visually
Office 2010 opens up a world of design options to help you give life to your ideas. The new and improved picture formatting tools such as color saturation and artistic effects let you transform your document visuals into a work of art. Combined with a wide range of new prebuilt Office themes and SmartArt® graphic layouts, Office 2010 gives you more ways to make your ideas stick. Check out PowerPoint 2010 and Word 2010.

2. Accomplish more when working together
Brainstorm ideas, provide better version control, and meet deadlines faster when you work in groups. The co-authoring experience for Word 2010, PowerPoint 2010, Excel Web App and OneNote shared notebooks let you work on a file with several people at once — even from different locations.

3. Enjoy the familiar Office experience from more locations and more devices
With Office 2010, you can get things done more easily, from more locations and more devices. Using a smartphone or virtually any computer with an Internet connection, you can work when and where you want to work.

Microsoft Office Web Apps Extend your Office 2010 experience to the web. Store your Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files online and then access, view, edit, and share content through the Web.

Microsoft Office Mobile 2010 Stay current and respond quickly using enhanced mobile versions of Office 2010 applications, specifically suited to your Windows Mobile-based smartphone.

4. Create powerful data insights and visuals
Track and highlight important trends with new data analysis and visualization features in Excel 2010. The new Sparklines feature delivers a clear and compact visual representation of your data with small charts within worksheet cells. Filter and segment your PivotTable data in multiple layers using Slicers to spend more time analyzing and less time formatting. See Excel 2010 in action.

5. Deliver compelling presentations
Captivate your audience with personalized videos in your presentation. Insert and customize videos directly in PowerPoint 2010—trim, add fades and effects, or bookmark key points in the video to call attention to selected scenes. Videos you insert are now embedded by default, relieving you from managing and sending additional video files. See PowerPoint 2010 in action.

6. Manage large volumes of e-mail with ease
With Outlook 2010 you can compress your long e-mail threads into a few conversations that can be categorized, filed, ignored, or cleaned up. The new Quick Steps feature let you perform multi-command tasks, such as reply and delete an e-mail in a single click, saving you time and inbox space. See Outlook 2010 in action.

7. Store and track all your ideas and notes in one place
Get the ultimate digital notebook for tracking, organizing, and sharing your text, picture, video and audio notes with OneNote 2010. New features such as version tracking, automatic highlighting, and Linked Notes give you more control over your notes so you’re always on top of where your ideas came from and the latest changes when working in teams. See OneNote 2010 in action.

8. Get your message out instantly
Broadcast your PowerPoint presentation to a remote audience, whether or not they have PowerPoint installed. The new Broadcast Slide Show feature allows you to share your presentation through a Web browser quickly without additional set up. See the PowerPoint Broadcast Slide Show in action.

9. Get things done faster and easier
Microsoft Office Backstage™ view replaces the traditional File menu to give you a centralized space for all of your file management tasks, such as the ability to save, share, print, and publish. The enhanced Ribbon across Office 2010 applications lets you access commands quickly and customize tabs to personalize the experience to your work style.

10. Access work across devices and platforms
Enjoy the freedom of using Office 2010 from more locations on more devices. When you use Office 2010, you’re getting the familiar and intuitive Office experience across PCs, Smartphones, and Web browsers on the go.

I have been running it a few weeks now and so far I have had various lockups and completely unrecognized previously saved in Office 2007 files.....so My question : Is it hype whats your experience?

G

Office 2007 is (was) much better. 2010 hogs way too many resources, and locks up, and when I use it other things lock up as well. I have a 2.16Ghz dual core processor, Windows 7, and 4Gb of RAM so usually I have no problems. Also, it still has too many bugs to release. I had so many issues with Outlook I uninstalled it and went back to 2007. I always try the betas so I know if I want to purchase or not later on when you can no longer try it for free (more than 30 days) ...The right-click menu in Word stopped working (I think it worked at one time, I'm not sure) ...when I right click, the menu pops up and pops down.....it won't stay up there long enough to click anything on or even view it really. There are quite a few other bugs also, but I can't remember them all...and what's the point of releasing a beta if you don't get feedback from it? I would think if you go to all the effort to release a trial version for people to check out, that the purpose of a beta would be to get feedback. If it were mine I would make it mandatory that you give regular feedback to continue to use it for free, but I can't even find a place to put my comments on it. And I am probably one of the few people that have tried all the applications, not just one. I was looking forward to installing 2007 when it came out, but not 2010. They totally rushed it. And what's up with the stupid File menu for the idiots? I liked it the way it was in 2007. I thought the whole purpose was to keep stuff organized. Sure, people had to learn where to find it...usually do with new software. But the button was great! Now you screwed it up. The addition of the new additional items, more detail on things like print, that's pretty nice though. That's the one new thing I've seen that i like.

tech_ww

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
1. Built-In Screen Capture Tool:

A really handy addition & at the same time a beautiful implementation of the same. Word & Powerpoint both have the ‘Screenshot’ feature under ‘Insert’ & the useful part is that it caches screen shots of the currently open windows for one-click insert. At the same time also gives you the marquee select option. Screen shot of the ‘Screenshot’ feature:

2. Background Removal Tool

3. Protected Mode

4. New Smart Art Templates
etc..

for more detail please have a look to this post http://bit.ly/9j4CKG

G

Both Office 2007 and 2010 are so busy doing things you don't need that they fail at the fundamentals. On screen edits of Excel and PowerPoint usually require mutiple point and clicks. Simple drag and drops become somewhat hellish.
Pivot tables are somewhat of a challenge. MS sacrifices user efficiencies for new options, like the Slicer.
MS can do whatever they want. I would not be surprised to see an uptick in Open Office downloads.