Trojan downloader found in F:\ system volume information

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Malwarebytes found a trojan downloader in the following location,i copied and pasted this from the log file:

F:\System Volume Information\_restore{0D24A6C9-28CF-44B7-B56C-0786B0AB2D4E}\RP494\A0117786.exe (Trojan.Downloader)

Its a 250gb external usb expansion drive and i have a buttload of important stuff on it.I would just like to get a little input on the action i should take with it since its linked to the system volume information.

Solution
You can also stop your computer saving restore files to your external HD, whilst you're on the System Restore menu.

Both these will save you quite a bit of space, especially if your drive is a large capacity as the size of the reserved section is usually around 10-15%.

So on a 1TB drive that's 100GB you're losing.

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Im running xp pro service pack 3.

And just to make this clear,its on my external drive and the os isnt installed on it.I didnt realize a secondary or external drive would have that information on it...but hey im still learning.

What is this purge you speak of?

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
As it's a harddrive your computer automatically assigns space on it for system restore and the recycle bin.

Purge just means delete.

To clear the files:
Click Start

Right-click on the My Computer icon, and then click Properties

Click the "System Restore" tab

Check "Turn off system restore" or "Turn off system restore on all drives"

Click Apply. The following message appears"You have chosen to turn off System Restore.

If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.Do you want to turn off System Restore?" Yes / No

Click Yes.

Click OK

Then re-enable system restore.

Also if you want to stop recycle bin files being saved to your external HD. right-click on the Recycle Bin on your desktop, go to properties and from here you can allocate how much space is reserved on each HD. For your external drive just set it to zero.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
You can also stop your computer saving restore files to your external HD, whilst you're on the System Restore menu.

Both these will save you quite a bit of space, especially if your drive is a large capacity as the size of the reserved section is usually around 10-15%.

So on a 1TB drive that's 100GB you're losing.

Solution

danol12345

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

SevenVirtues please help me!!!! I have windows 7 and i have the same situation with the trojan in my system volume information. I have restored both my C and E drives and restarted my computer many times and scanned my computer with avast free version and turned up with a trojan still in my system volume information. I have looked on the web for help and found many replies about disabling the restore for both drives and restarting the computer. I have tried many times and the trojan is still lurking in my system volume information. Please show me the correct way (if im doing something wrong) to do the restore process!! Thanks, Danol12345