Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Chrome

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So after reading the review of web browser performance here on Toms's, I got to wondering what everyone uses. I was also curious to see if those on Tom's match up to the general population's use in regard to market share.

According to u3school.com, the market share of browsers breaks down as such for February 2010 (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

1. Firefox- 46.5%
2. Internet Explorer- 35.3% (IE8,7,6 combined)
3. Chrome- 11.6%
4. Safari- 3.8%
5. Opera- 2.1%

Personally, I use Opera (10.5). I know I am in the minority, but I prefer it out of habit. With a little adblock script to block ads, it runs in a rather zippy fashion.

jrocks84

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I'm using Firefox 3.7a3pre at the moment. It's noticeably faster than 3.6, but it's incompatible with so many things that I'm thinking of switching to another browser like Chrome or Opera.

Excellent choice pythonic13! Just downloaded 10.6 the other day and needless to say, I am very impressed with it. It is a lot faster than 10.5, at least in my opinion. Plus, I think it has a hint of HTML5 rendering in it.

gbp007

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I use firefox 3.6, i really like how you can customize it with all the different add ons..There seems to be a problem though with the latest version 3.66 where there is a bug that removes the real player download option when downloading you tube videos..

twoplanker

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Opera 10.60 is very nice... fast.. On my computer Opera is 43% faster than Firefox 4.0 beta 1 with peacekeeper test. Opera 11899 Points... Firefox was 5157 Points.
They are both my favorite browsers. gotta like this new browser war...

w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

I dont know if you guys know but Chrome has a decent selection of extensions too (although nowhere near as much as FF). I don't know what kind of add ons you guys use for Firefox but I only use gmail checker plus and similar pages beta.

To me, it just seems like Chrome is faster too especially on a cold start. Firefox takes forever for me for some reason. Also, when the browser IS up, I prefer the smaller profile of Chrome at the top. More page ;)

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Chrome is the fastest slightly, than opera but firefox is a close 3rd and a good merger for Chrome because it knocks out opera in areas that chrome doesn't! I.E. was slowest in the Benchmarks! Another opportunity for Bill gates to upgrade to a ChromeDomeBlazedFox!