sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
does anyone know where do I get a C++ compiler for windows 7 x64 ??I had turboC++ v4.5 which worked fine with win xp sp2 x86 but this version doesn't work with win7 x64!!I have also changed the compatibly mode to xp for the installer but the compiler won't install at all!!!!So please tell me where do I get a c++ compiler compatible with win7 x64??

Solution
i know all you need is a compiler, though have you tried Visual C++ 2008 Express . There is a way to add x64 compilation (instead of Win32).

THe other way to do this is to use g++ for windows, there is a switch for 64 bit compilation.
G

get virtual pc and install xp instead it worked for me...

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
i know all you need is a compiler, though have you tried Visual C++ 2008 Express . There is a way to add x64 compilation (instead of Win32).

THe other way to do this is to use g++ for windows, there is a switch for 64 bit compilation.

Solution

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
@eric not everyone wants an IDE, he may just want a compiler, and no it doesn't auto detect 64bit systems, you have to change some settings to compile to a 64bit target, ie in the configuration manager, if you don't do this it is still compiling under 32bit (Win32)

i know since i have been using g++ i prefer it and a Makefile over an IDE

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Speaking truth I am very new in the world of programming.Can you just tell me what a G++ is??Is it a compiler for C++??Whats the difference between a compiler and IDE ??

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
G++ is GNU C++. There are many ports including Windows.

Also, being that it's on many OSs, depending on your program, it could be A LOT easier to port to linux/etc, especially if you couple it with cross-platform libraries.

A compiler is nothing more than the program that converts your code into executable files. An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is what you see when ever someone is using Visual Studio.