Can I create and also use the virtual image from inside another OS

qaz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi,
I am having a dual boot setup with both as Windows XP. I have the 1st OS on C drive and the 2nd OS on the E drive. I want to create an virtual image of the physical 2nd OS on the E drive.

My questions regarding this is :
(1) Can I install and run the Vmware convertor from inside of the 1st windows xp on C drive so as to create a physical to virtual image of the 2nd OS on the E drive.

(2) Also while using the virtual Image created with the above method, can I use this Image while running the Virtualbox/Vmware inside both the Windows xp installations on C drive and E drive. What I mean here is can I run the virtual Image of the E drive on both Xp installations of C and E drives.

qaz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Sorry about the explanation, i have given it in detail below.

Firstly I have a dual boot setup with both having Windows XP. The first WinXP is on C Drive and the other is on E drive.

I know that VMware converter can be used to convert a physical Windows xp setup into an virtual Image. To do this Vmware converter has to be installed on the windows installation and then run so as to perform the conversion of this windows.

> Now i need to create an virtual Image of the 2nd Win XP installation which is present on the E drive. But here I do not want to install any softwares on this xp installation as I need to have a clean XP setup.

Thus so as to obtain a virtual image of the clean XP installation : - Can I install and run the Vmware convertor from inside of the 1st windows xp on C drive. And then use it to create an virtual image of the XP installation present on the E drive. (Note here that at this point of time I have booted into the 1st Win XP on C drive, and the converter is being run from inside this XP)

I hope I made better sense this time. Please advise ...