How do i backup my system

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
So im wondering how i would go about backing up my system. Isnt there a way when i get my new computer to basically make a clone of what it is at the beginning so if i have any problems down the road instead of wiping the system just doing a like a reinstall to where i was at the very beginning or any point when i make another save?

Edit: I Belive its called a system restore but im not sure how to do it.

Solution
Yes you have right, this is called "RESTORE POINT". For do this, go to my pc, right click, properties, and restore system tab. Here, select the drive that you want do the restore point, usually C:, select the configuration option and follow the steps.

P.D. @ ToreTrygg, a system CAN BE CLONED TOTALLY, BUT you need 2 system with the sames specifications. HDD, mobo, RAM, GPU. For example, two HP DC 5800 SFF can be cloned totally, but one HP DC 5700 SFF and one HP DC 5800 SFF can't be cloned totally.

ToreTrygg

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Two computer can't be cloned totally, as far as I know. I mean that there will be some difference in time. But that is not matter.
Actually its called recovering. To backup my system I'm using iSCSI SAN solution, called StarWind. Belive me - it is much reliable, useful, affordable and simple-in-use tool.

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Im not trying to clone two computers im just trying to basically backup the system as you say so that if anything does happen i can recover from an earlier stable or non virus point. Ive heard of doing this but i have no idea how too.

saint19

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Yes you have right, this is called "RESTORE POINT". For do this, go to my pc, right click, properties, and restore system tab. Here, select the drive that you want do the restore point, usually C:, select the configuration option and follow the steps.

P.D. @ ToreTrygg, a system CAN BE CLONED TOTALLY, BUT you need 2 system with the sames specifications. HDD, mobo, RAM, GPU. For example, two HP DC 5800 SFF can be cloned totally, but one HP DC 5700 SFF and one HP DC 5800 SFF can't be cloned totally.

Solution

ToreTrygg

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I mean that there will be some time for data transfer, so one system will have a little differences. And if you will pause first system, then second will catch up with first, and then than it will be clones. But since you'll start first one again, it will nit be a TOTAL clone.
"restore points" = snapshots.
pinoynobello, I'm kindly offering you to try trial version of software, that I suggested to you.
Regards!

Rustee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

There is a FREE download of a program calledd XXCLONE - www.xxclone.com I have used this program for years and it does a great job of cloning your entire "C" volume. It requires a 2nd hard drive large enough to accomodate the size of your entire "C" drive + a little extra space for growth. It does NOT need a monster drive unless you have a very large amount on your "C" volume.

Simply put, this small program "Clones" your "C" drive to a backup hard drive, which is installed in your tower case as a slave drive (obviously a different drive letter). The program "clones" your system, all programming and data (and the Registry hive) to the "slave" drive and you can then make it "Bootable". This "clone" is simply made the "C" drive by changing the jumper on the backup drive to "Master" and switching the cable so the end plug is now on the slave drive. Boot into what was the "slave" and it boots up exactly as the old "Master" drive. You can continue to use the newly created drive as your new system drive, or clone it back to your original hard drive to restore it to master again, by swapping the cables and changing the jumpers.

Once you have the "Clone" completed, you can do an incremental backup which only changes stuff that has been changed since the last clone, so the required time to "incremental clone" is a fraction of the original clone.

I know this sounds complicated, but it's really very simple after you have done it a couple of times ... and you always have a backup drive which will boot and run exactly as your original.

I have absolutely no connection with this company and will NOT be compensated in any way for passing on this information. I simply like to help anyone I can!

TRENDING THREADS