Malware/virus avast doesn't work Nothing working HELP

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I posted this on the other thread involving restarting my acer laptop let me just give you guys the run down:
Can't open My Computer, can't open network, can't open control panel or any other windows similar to those
Can't INstall anything install sheild is messed up, Computer randomly crashes, Can't do quick restore can't use ALT 10 to factory reset this thing (acer laptop) can't install any new viruses, as of now i can't even run my scanner for Avast without my computer crashing, can't access the I driver partition to re-enable my alt 10 key at startup, tried it and got it ONCE then crashed tried to get back to it and couldn't. Nothing "Seems to be wrong lol other "all devices working properly" also My ta .... JUST CRASHED AGAIN! rebooted, my task manager does not work. When Cntrl+alt+delete, and start task manager it shows up minimized but then goes away after a few minutes, it does NOT open. Crashed again.... crashed twice while typing this msg.
But the good thing is... this time, I was able to access the Alt f10 recovery screen, the bad thing is that the password, seems to have been changed.

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Ok... I'm trying this method:
Opening The hidden partition drive, selecting a folder and recovering my password this way. Then rebooting and... trying to reset the computer that way.
Only problem is, I don't know how to view the PQSERVICE partition, I have this powerquest partition editor but I can't make heads or tails with it.

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
This does not seem to be working, I change the 27 in type to 07 reboot and it automatically changes back to 27, and I can't view the hidden partition! Help! I'm using the powerquest PTEDIT32

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

Even If i was able to download it my installshield won't complete, it says preparing the loading bar gets to like 99% and it stops, and u get the
loading" cursor on the mouse.
I'm still trying to find out how to get the partition *hidden recovery* because I can't remember the password for the life of me hahaha.

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
http://laptop-support.org/component/content/article/35-information/148-acer-erecovery-lost-password-fix.html
On this site it shows someone who was able to do exactly what I NEED to do. Since i Finally got my Alt f10 to work i just need to recover the password. THe problem is everytime I go to windows it resets my partition from 07 back to 27.
The steps as described in the link:
1. I downloaded Partedit32

2. started program and changed the pqservice partition type from 27 to 7

3. restarted computer, pressed F2 on startup, went into bios and disabled d2d recovery. Saved and started computer

4. for the next step I kept in mind that if windows started after this, acer somehow changes the type 7 back to 27, so I figured to not go into windows, when computer was restarting I pressed F8 a number of times and went into a windows recovery option.

5. After a drill down of a couple of menus I found an option at this point to go out to dos.

6. after i was in dos, guess what, I had a drive letter x, in my case, so I figured this may be the hidden partition, so I did this at the x prompt

7. type dir

8. looked for aimdrs.dat file (i was told thats where the password is) found it

9. did this command at the prompt: copy aimdrs.dat c:

10. stated 1 file copied

11. exited out of cmd and rebooted my computer normal.

12. Then after booting I opened up notepad, went to file open, found aimdrs.dat on c drive and presto, opened the file and password, hint in the file.

Step 5 is where I run into a problem, i'm not sure if command prompt is the option he chose, but when I Chose it and went from c:\ >>>> PTEDIT32 and opened the program and noticed that the hidden partition reverted back to 07 (just crashed again)

jkjkhardcore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I finally got it through Linux, I was able after much trouble shooting to get the cd rom working a little bit(still crashed a bunch)then i downloaded iso of LiveCd for Linux (Ubuntu) and booted up to that, but the cd didn't work.
When booting the computer I went and pressed f2 to get into bios, at first I couldn't figure out which drive was the cd-rom as there were 5 extra ones, so i went back onto desktop deleted them then back to f2 and set CD-Rom to boot first. Never using ubuntu I had trouble with the interface but finally was able to figure it out.
At the Ubuntu main screen i went to the terminal (their version of dos)
by going Applications*uptop*>> accessories> terminal.
After messing around here for a bit i read what another member ScottW on the HowToGeek forum stated :
cd /mnt
sudo mkdir acer
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/acer
cd acer
cat aimdrs.dat
and viola my password popped outta no where and I am not going to go reboot and try to get into the partition so I can restore to factory settings!