Internet Security Suite for Dummies?

kenny720

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Okay one of the companies I'm working with has a complete moron.
He always finds a way to get infected with something.

AV software works on his machine and everyone elses, yet he manages to screw up his machine.

Anyway his trendmicro AV scanner is fine. What I'm trying to find is an internet security app. Something that can really watch IE. Something even this idiot can use. With some minor alerts here and there so he doesn't call me lol

Anyway I'm going through reviews and I just thought someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks,

Kenny

Machine is XP Pro with IE7

Solution
Oh.... the hells of being a system administrator.

Aside from taking his internet away from him, would something that has a UAC effect help him not to infect his machine?

By this I mean a program that runs resident, and warns him of any changes being made to his system. Allow or Deny. It might need to be explained to him that unless he is making system changes (i.e. installing software or performing sys admin tasks) that deny would be the option he needs to familiarise himself with. lol.

If this sounds ideal look into winpatrol (freeware) by billp studios. Rather than being a resident malware scanner, it alerts the user of any changes and asks if they initiated the action.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Oh.... the hells of being a system administrator.

Aside from taking his internet away from him, would something that has a UAC effect help him not to infect his machine?

By this I mean a program that runs resident, and warns him of any changes being made to his system. Allow or Deny. It might need to be explained to him that unless he is making system changes (i.e. installing software or performing sys admin tasks) that deny would be the option he needs to familiarise himself with. lol.

If this sounds ideal look into winpatrol (freeware) by billp studios. Rather than being a resident malware scanner, it alerts the user of any changes and asks if they initiated the action.

Solution

kenny720

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I'd like to take the whole computer away lol
Reminds me of that old story someone sent me, "just put the computer back in the box and bring it back to the store. Tell them your too stupid to own a computer :)"

And thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look at that one, might just do the trick.

I found Online Armor too, looks kind of interesting so I'll load a copy into VMware and see what it screws up :) lol

-Kenny

aford10

Distinguished
Norton internet security is real simple. Everything that is searched is color coded.

1. A green check mark is good
2. A yellow ! is questionable
3. A red X means, don't go there

Even the dumbest can understand.

kenny720

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Never really considered Norton Internet Security, it's been years since I used it.

I've always liked norton products but back then I wasn't too impressed with their internet security app.

After trying a few products including some of the suggestions above I just ordered the A-Squared suite from EMSI.

Pros
It seems to be pretty damn good. In the end I ran two local and 3 online scanners including trend micro on this machine.
A-squared was the only one that picked up the last three which seemed to be causing all the problems.

And once your clean I'd say it's probably almost impossible to get infected/

Updates are very frequent

Cons
Not sure if this reflects badly on the product but wasn't able to remove one of the infections.
However it linked me to detailed instructions and links on how to remove it. And I must say this things was really dug in all over the machine.

I downloaded the demo for my machine to, I use alot of little utilities and write my own scripts. On my inital scan I had alot of false positives which I had to white list.
However no mainstream apps or anythin the average person would use was detected incorrectly

-Kenny