Uninstalling Norton on a new laptop

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I've used AVG's anti-virus software for years and prefer to keep doing so on a new laptop I just purchased. This HP laptop has Norton Internet Security pre-installed with 60 day free updates. However, I would like to completely remove the Norton program right off the bat. Will the "uninstall" wipe it completely off my system? If not, what is the easiest way to do this?

Sorry if this is a 'stupid noob' question, but I really don't want to see any pop-ups about Norton's down the road and I don't want it to cause problems for AVG once it is installed. (and yes, I do realize that Norton's has finally improved tremendously).

TIA, Charlie

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Nortons AV is notorious for leaving traces of itself on the system after an uninstall through add remove programs. It even leaves services running, which isn't normally apparent until you try to install another security application which detects it.

Symantec (Norton) have a removal tool to completely rid the PC of any traces of Norton after an uninstall has been performed.

Linked below:

From the Symantec site (If you are sure which version of Norton is installed):

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

From Major Geeks (Symantec is the author), Removes all Norton 2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer:

http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_d4749.html

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks. While it was 2009 version, the Major Geeks did appear to find some traces. Funny, the 'uninstall' program implies that it now removes ALL. Since the author of the 'real' remover is Symantec, why do they not do it right the first time? Or at a minimum, why do they say that it removes EVERYTHING ?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
*Shrugs*

Good question, only they know the answer I guess.

In their defence, Norton isn't the only AV or software vendor to not completely remove their product after an uninstall though. There are others that have removal tools too.

I like to use Revo uninstaller to try to rid all traces of software after I have used it. I prefer it over the Windows add /remove programs as it does a much more thorough job.