Best Free Disk Defragmenter?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well...I was wondering in terms of "opinion" what do you think is the best Disk Degragmenter Freeware???
-In google I see something called Auslogics, is that good? What do you people think?

zendaver

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I've had good long term experience with the free JKDefrag (v3.36), first item in a google search is for his www.kessels.com web site. One feature I like is the defrag screen saver module, its the part I mostly use. I'm seeing for the first time today that it is being renamed MyDefrag v4.0 with the new url of ... www.mydefrag.com

Ctaver

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

I have always had good luck with Windows own built in Defragger, You have to remember Xp & Vista(NTFS) are not like Win 98(Fat32) was.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
thank you, I will try that on my computer, however I also had a question, you know how like normal degragmentation just takes sectors of one app and puts them together for fast access becuase the reader head moves less, well, i heard that there is another type of defragmention callled consolidation where it doesn't just defragment but pushes all the data to the very possible edge of the hard drive disk giving it access speeds of 200% and more since the edge of the disk requires minimal movement to aquire the needed data. I heard that a freware called Ultimate Defragmenter has this.

-Any thoughts?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well, I downloaded all and will try them out for the next couple weeks/months.

-Here is another question, My grandfather gave me his computer for maintence like virus scan, defrag, clean out his temp/recent folders and ...etc, well his C drive is so fragmented that I cant find a software that can defrag it, I even used trials of programs to help out...i tried diskeeper pro premier trial, perfect disk 10 professional, ultimate defrag and windows defrager(which is stripped down version of diskeeper). And no luck, it just cant defragment it, I did a boot defrag with it, along with a safemode also and its just too much red files. I wanted to intall the Diskeeper 2009 Enterprise Server and the standard server becuase they have much more powerful engines inside them like the titan engine and terabyte volume engine, but it says my OS isn't supported which is vista for that computer, I am guessing its for unix, solaris,sqlserver and other busniss OS. Any ideas?? besides demolishing it and rebuilding its OS.

JAYDEEJOHN

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
How much space has he on the OS? If its less than 15%, it cant be done. May need to chuck a few apps, ones that he can regain later with no loss to him

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
His free space is over 75%. It still is to fragmented for anything and its quite bad, I need a hardcore software with a really powerful defrag engine or some kind of tweak or fix, becuase it seems like reformating it is the only option to get it from being this horribly defragmented. any help?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
yeah i know that website, but I tried all of the best reviewed defragers out there, seriously if diskeeper and perfect disk can't do it, i dont think any defrager can do it. I also did check disk and all that, i might be a problem with his hard drive though also, since i tryied to consolitdate and move all the data to the edge of the disk and it didn't work. And the last time i reinstalled his OS, it had some problems and i had to redo it 3 times to get it work, maybe his HDD is bad.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Yup did all that, I ran check disk during boot time before all my defrag attempts. I was going like a maintence clean-up for him, becuase he is good with software but he knows nothing about how a computer works or anything about the OS and stuff. So I during maintence I first run a Full safe mode scan with malwarebytes/avg on his comp, (I usually find like 10 trojans and viruses), then I run check disk during boot time to correct the file system and stuff and it completed fine. Then I did Boot time defrag, safe mode defrag, and normal mode defrag and I repeated this processes with like 5 different softwares and none were able to do anything, and as I said if diskeeper and perfect disk cant do it, i dont think anything can.

-And I will try to run the check from the manufacture of the HDD to check better, but i can only do it in like a month cause i am leaving for a while ;(

Kneel Before Zod

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Windows 7's Disk Defragmenter now does this (consolidation). Very nice!