Browser crash when viewing live cam streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globetrotter

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hi

When I view any live cam stream/feed at sites like justin.tv or ustream.tv (or any other live cam feed site where flash is used) my browser freezes after a few seconds and gives me an "IE/Firefox has encountered a problem" type message, if I click on more details, it displays:

"Error signature AppName: firefox.exe AppVer: 1.9.0.3105 ModName: ipcamera_mjpeg.ax
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000aba97"

I get this "ipcamera_mjpeg.ax" error in both Firefox 3.0.1 and Internet Explorer 7. I can however view regular flash sites like youtube, it's only on sites where there are live cam feeds which utilizes flash that I get the error.

I have uninstalled Flash player en re-installed it, still get the same error. My current version is Adobe Flash Player 9,0,124,0. There are several people reporting this error online and everyone's convinced it's flash that's the problem, yet nobody has a solution (so far).

Note that I could view all these live cam streams as mentioned above a few months ago without any problems. Nothing has changed on my system except maybe a flash version upgrade along the way? Is there a problem with flash player 9.0.124.0 and live cam feeds? I have tried version 10 beta 2 as well, still get the same error. I have a webcam installed but don't use an ipcamera. The webcam works fine, use it on SKype etc. without any problems.

Flash + live cam feeds = problem.
Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

If you do, do you use Realtek sound card? I'm guessing that either the latest flash player version is buggy or that existing hardware is incompatible with it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

funkyavocado

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Same thing happens to me for ustream.tv and GMail's new video chat. I think I have narrowed it down. I have 2 nearly identical Sony Vaio SR 290 laptops. One has a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3470 graphics driver, the other has Intel's integrated graphics. The ATI machine crashes, the Intel one doesn't.

akamal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
same problem on my new sony VAIO SR 26 laptop. the funny thing is, my son's VAIO SR13 laptop bought 3 months ago does not have this problem! It's exactly the same machine but with no HD out and the same ATI Radeon graphics card. It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out

funkyavocado

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
3rd reply here fixed it.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=184&threadid=1407808&highlight_key=y&keyword1=bluetooth#5143245

it involves a file called BtwVdpCapFilter.dll (it is a bluetooth profile that essentially allows people to share their webcam across bluetooth BUT no one uses this) and it is what is crashing when you access the webcam thru IE/Firefox/Opera.

So go to C:\windows\system32 and rename it to anything for example BtwVdpCapFilter1.dll and everything should be fine. Sony said they will be releasing a patch for this.

akamal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
funkyA, thank you very much for the fix. At least when I go to chat settings verifications, the webcam shows the picture and Firefox doesnt crash. Will try it with Google chat video with my son and see if it works

G

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER!!!! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A SONY VAIO VGN-AW11Z, ANY WEBSITE WITH LIVE STREAM VIDEO WOULD CRASH MY BROWSER, NO MATTER WHAT I WAS USING, ALSO I HAD DIFFICULTIES IN SENDING MY CAMERA TO SKYPE ONLINE BECAUSE I COULD NOT CHANGE THE BLUETOOTH CAMERA PROFILE WHICH WAS APPEARING AS DEFAULT IN SKYPE VIDEO DEVICES.

THANKS TO YOUR SOLLUTION THE PROBLEM IS FIXED NOW AND THE FLASH VIDEO STREAMING IS WORKING JUST FINE!

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A NICE DAY,
ANDY GEORGE

IceManNYR

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I had the same problem using Vista 64bit and found out it was my ATI All in Wonder HD video card drivers that were causing the problem.
I recently upgraded to ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver 9.9 and it just so happens around that time the crashes started.
I uninstalled the ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver 9.9, rebooted and went back to the sites that were crashing and they no longer have problems.

rodyhoffer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Nice information, I didn't encounter this before, but good that you discussed it here. But a little O.T. I read articles before that Justin.TV was disabled for a while because of illegal live streaming? I don't watch Justin.TV anymore because it is sometimes unreliable.
Instead of watching on this site, you may opt to watch in your own T.V. on same channel. IDK where justin.tv get their resources.

IceManNYR

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I upgraded to ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver 9.10 which was released on the 22nd and the crashing of flash live webcams has stopped.

YummyCheese

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I'm running XP, and I can't seem to find that file in my system32 folder. I'm still encountering this problem and nothing seems to fix it. Any ideas?

G

hi im mick used to be on pc in previouse life look at micknsamuk it was in 2006 its now 2010 carnt get on a chat site this pc wont let me

G

hi im mick used to be on pc in previouse life look at micknsamuk it was in 2006 its now 2010 carnt get on a chat site this pc wont let me

G

G

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER!!!! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A SONY VAIO VGN-AW11Z, ANY WEBSITE WITH LIVE hi im mick used to be on pc in previouse life look at micknsamuk it was in 2006 its now 2010 carnt get on a chat site this pc wont let me STREAM VIDEO WOULD CRASH MY BROWSER, NO MATTER WHAT I WAS USING, ALSO I HAD DIFFICULTIES IN SENDING MY CAMERA TO SKYPE ONLINE BECAUSE I COULD NOT CHANGE THE BLUETOOTH CAMERA PROFILE WHICH WAS APPEARING AS DEFAULT IN SKYPE VIDEO DEVICES.

THANKS TO YOUR SOLLUTION THE PROBLEM IS FIXED NOW AND THE FLASH VIDEO STREAMING IS WORKING JUST FINE!

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A NICE DAY,
ANDY GEORGE

sixby9

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I have found a working fix for the Flash player bug. This guide will show you how to quickly add the problematic website to the trusted list of the flash player settings. This is cause flash to skip the step that hangs the browser and your webcam should work perfectly fine.

Instructions are posted over here:

http://sixby9.co.uk/general-computing/solution-webcam-crashes-or-hangs-flash-and-browser/

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.